Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Friday, January 5, 2024

Review: There Should Have Been Eight

While some of y'all count down the days for a new Nalini Singh paranormal release, I'm over here wishing she wrote more suspense novels. Two years after her last suspense release, she drops There Should Have Been Eight, and what has become apparent to me with this third stand-alone suspense title is that Singh writes what I call slow burn suspense - and that it's by design.

They were a group of eight friends who grew up together, continued to live in each others' pockets through college, when the suicide of the group's bright light sent them scattering into the wind.  Now, nine years later, they've agreed to come back together for a reunion.  Luna, who makes her living as a photographer, agrees to go, despite a devastating health diagnosis she hasn't told her friends about (she's going blind thanks to a genetic condition) and she's still angry that Darcie had her sister, Bea, cremated. No funeral. No chance for any of the friends to say goodbye.  

Darcie is now married to Ash, who once upon a time was desperately in love with her sister Bea.  There's Luna's best friend, Vansi, a nurse, and her husband, Phoenix, a doctor. Kaea is the playboy of the bunch, now a successful lawyer and then there's Aaron, who's dream it is to open his own restaurant, and his fiancĂ©e, Grace - a newcomer that Luna will be meeting for the first time. They agree to come together in a remote manor owned now solely by Darcie, the rest of her family now gone. The manor comes complete with breathtaking views, isolation, secret passages, a burned out wing thanks to a mentally ill ancestor, oh and impending bad weather.  I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Turns out, quite a bit. However it takes some time to happen. It starts with creepy pranks, someone leaving Bea's childhood doll for Darcie to find, then moves into suspicious accident territory, until finally someone ends up dead.  This book, while similar to Singh's two previous suspense novels in some ways, has one important difference - this one is actually more claustrophobic.  Instead of a small town or upscale cul-de-sac, Singh leans all in on Gothic with this book isolating the action to this group of eight people, the memory of Bea (who casts a long shadow), and a creepy house. The story is told exclusively from Luna's point of view.  Luna, always documenting with her camera. Luna, slowly going blind and incandescently angry with Darcie that she was robbed of saying goodbye to Bea. Her special, precious Bea. 

When I say this is a slow burn, I mean it. It takes a while for the action to come in and Singh focuses on building the Gothic atmosphere and tension.  And naturally, Darcie's ancestors, the previous owners of the manor, come into play as Luna tries to unravel what's exactly happening.  The world-building is evocative and extremely well done.  

That said, I wasn't in love with this as much as Singh's previous suspense novels. The twists didn't work quite as well for me and to be honest, I disliked most of these people. There's also events and choices made at the end of the story that just left me with a slight deflated feeling.  Like the one person that I didn't totally hate, I'm not sure I like all that much anymore?  If that makes any sense.

However, what is done well is the overall theme of this story - that of obsession.  This isn't a story about friendship or even love. Nope, it's obsession all day long and twice and Sunday. And naturally Bea is at the center of it all. 

I'm left slightly conflicted. This didn't work as well for me as Singh's other suspense novels, but there's still bits to admire here.  The Gothic atmosphere, the world-building, and how obsession runs through the story - but I never entirely got wrapped up in it. In some ways it felt too cool, remote, almost distant. Like looking through the lens of Luna's camera - which I suspect might have been the point.

Final Grade = B-

3 comments:

azteclady said...

This review has all my antennae vibrating--and I have a feeling that I would dislike everyone in there. As I have trouble enough reading about people I like, I don't think I'll read this.

Which damn, because good contemporary Gothics are rare!

Barb in Maryland said...

Wendy--You nailed it!
I really liked the atmosphere, the gothic vibes; the people--not so much. And yes, I am now waiting, waiting, for her next suspense novel. I never clicked with her paranormal books, but I have really, really enjoyed her other contemporary suspense ones.

Wendy said...

AL: I've read a lot of suspense novels over the years featuring characters I dislike, and on that scale these people aren't THAT bad, but yeah....they're not great either. I think it was the obsession (and the fact that nobody recognizes obsession, even in the other characters) that started to get to me. Of course obsessed people rarely know they are - but I was kind of expecting them to be able to recognize it in the others? But then this all felt very intentional to me on the part of the author. Especially that slightly disconnected feeling, like looking through the main characters' camera lens...

Barb: Going way back I just have not been a big fan of the "otherworldly" in my fiction reading - be it science fiction, fantasy or paranormal. I'm OK with ghosts in Gothics, which is odd, I know. Nothing against those genres, it just really is not "my thing." So even with the raves for Singh's paranormals, I wasn't going to go there regardless. But I've so enjoyed her suspense! I "get" why others aren't wild about them, she's a very slow-burn writer, but her world-building and the creeping sense of claustrophobia she's put in all her suspense stories (to some degree) has been dynamite.