Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Friday, January 12, 2024

Reminder: #TBRChallenge Day is January 17

TBR Challenge 2024


Here we are and happy 2024!  A new year means a new #TBRChallenge and we're kicking things off on Wednesday, January 17.  This month's (always) optional theme is Once More With Feeling.

This suggestion came from the (now) annual theme poll I open up and I think it's perfect for the first month of a new year. With this theme my mind drifted to second chance or redemption themes so popular in romance.  Reunion romances, a main character returning to their hometown or moving to a new city, maybe taking a new job or changing careers - this month's theme really leans into the concept of "starting over." 

That being said, remember that the themes are completely optional. The goal of the challenge has been, and always will be, to read something (anything!) that's been languishing in your mountain range of unread books. 

It is certainly not too late to join the Challenge (to be honest it's never too late).  You can get more details and get links to the current list of participants on the #TBRChallenge 2024 Information Page

6 comments:

azteclady said...

I was all ready to panic (the first book of 2024 kinda broke me--I hate when a good book is buried under really bad editing, but most especially, when it's traditionally published. The author gave up part of the book earnings in exchange for, you know, EDITING!/rant)

...but I found one that fits the theme (in my head), so yeah, now, to read it.

Whiskeyinthejar said...

My mind immediately went to second chance, too! I picked out Gold Ring of Betrayal by Michelle Reid because if I don't start the year off with a Harlequin Presents that has a husband who thinks his wife cheated on him and a kidnapping, what am I even doing?

Wendy said...

AL: Unfortunately my 2024 reading is stuck in the gear I was in for nearly all of 2023 - trying to find the spoons to actually, you know, READ! I picked out my book a week ago (!) and yeah, have read one chapter. Sigh.

Whiskey: 🤣. I read so many category romances for the challenge because I procrastinate and then panic pick up a shorter book. This month thought I actually picked up a single title. Now to just sit down and actually read it.

azteclady said...

...so the first and second choices didn't work, so now I'm looking at third and fourth.

::sobs::

Jen Twimom said...

I went with childhood friends get reacquainted and fall in love. I really wanted to find a book with a demon and/or a musical ala Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Wendy said...

I squeaked in - finished my pick on Monday, wrote up the blog post Tuesday evening!