Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

#TBRChallenge 2023: Appalachian Abduction


The Particulars: Romantic suspense, Harlequin Intrigue #1772, Book 2 in Lavender Mountain trilogy, Out of print, Available digitally

Why Was It In Wendy's TBR?: Back in that long ago time of 2018, I read the first book in this trilogy and was intrigued (see what I did there?) by enough on the page to be curious about book two. Yes, I'm well aware it's now five years later. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Spoilers Ahoy!

The Review: I'm currently in the middle of a slump which (I'm fairly certain) is being caused by my all-of-the-place-I-don't-know-what-I-want-to-read mood. I'd read two chapters of a historical western I thought I was in the mood for only to DNF it in a fit of "it's me, not you" pique. With my own Challenge deadline barreling down on me I knew I had to find something to read and fast and figured a Harlequin Intrigue was my best bet. When this line is good I inhale the books. They can be fast-paced, exciting, and I rarely come up for air once I start them.  When the line isn't so good?  Well, you get the opposite. Plus I was feeling a little nostalgic for a backwoods shenanigans fix and this book was nearly front and center in my Harlequin storage cupboard.  So, how was it?  


Charlotte Helms is squatting in a backwoods cabin on Lavender Mountain and casing a swanky house in an exclusive gated community.  Why?  Currently an undercover cop on leave from the Atlanta PD, she's convinced the house is at the center of a child-trafficking ring, and the case is personal. She's convinced her BFF's missing teenage daughter, Jenny, is in that house.

The fly in the ointment? She didn't realize she was squatting in a cabin owned by a local cop. Officer James Tedder is former military and been on the job for six months. His sister is now happily married to his boss (now the local sheriff) and while she's pestering James about finding someone and settling down, he's fine. I mean, he doesn't sleep much and has a touch of the PTSD, but really he's fine.  So what if he keeps inexplicably driving by the family cabin with all it's good and bad memories when he's doing his local patrol.  Naturally that's when he finds Charlotte squatting in the old cabin, injured from a run-in with the local baddies, and feeding him a line of BS he doesn't buy for a minute.

We all know what happens next - Charlotte eventually spills the truth of why she was squatting on his land, and after a debrief with his brother-in-law, these two are now partners working to find evidence to bust the child-trafficking ring.

Intrigue books are short (around 250 pages) which can make them very fast-paced, but brain-bending whodunits are harder to pull off.  That's why so many of them lean more on the thriller end of the mystery genre.  There's not a lot of mystery here - the reader knows there's a child-trafficking ring and we know that Charlotte knows that the couple who owns the house are likely the masterminds. It's the finding and rescuing of the victims that keeps the story humming along.

The problem here is that it's not terribly exciting when the bad guys are so amazingly inept.  I mean, bare minimum all they had to do was lay low and not cause a fuss.  Instead the hired goons are doing things like openly firing on police officers in patrol cars, running them off the road, and sending threatening messages.  And here's the thing - Charlotte has nothing. I mean, less than nothing. All she's got is witness testimony from a girl who escaped but has since vanished into the wind. Like, she's gone.  Then of course you have our masterminds who decide to hold a fundraiser for the Lavender Mountain Sheriff's department very close to their home (the gated community clubhouse!) when they know Charlotte and James are poking around and will be at said fundraiser. And conveniently these geniuses decide to not move the girls. It's all pretty thin.

The romance here is fine. Charlotte did get on my nerves a fair amount - one of those I'm Tough and Strong and Can Take Care of Myself types.  A little of her went a long way for me, but she never crossed a line for me where I would have happily throttled her, so that's something I guess.  James was OK.  A decent guy just trying to do right by his community yada yada yada.

I continued to enjoy the northern Georgia Appalachian setting, although I felt like this was better drawn and utilized in the first book.  Also, the Tedder family is viewed through a white-trash hillbilly lens by most everyone in town - and it makes sense that now sister Lilah is married to the respected town sheriff that this would be toned down somewhat, but I gotta be honest and say I missed that aspect in this story.  But then I'm a sucker for "wrong side of the tracks" type characters.

Was this a complete failure for me? Absolutely not.  Was it a resounding success?  Meh.  But hey, I read it in two sittings and given that prior to this book I read 2 chapters in about two weeks? That's nothing to sneeze at. 

Final Grade = C

8 comments:

azteclady said...

"I read it in two sittings and that's nothing to sneeze at"

Oh, I'm feeling this deeply! I struggled a lot to get into my book for this month, because I'm in an "I can't focus or concentrate" rollercoaster (don't get in, it sucks the life out of you), but once I got in? Oh, that was great!

Even with the semi-letdown at the end, getting lost in a world and riding along with characters doing what they do well? Yeah, I had missed that big time.

Whiskeyinthejar said...

I'll go to a book like this when I feel a slump coming on, too. That cotton candy readability can get the engine going again.

I'm a sucker for "wrong side of the tracks" type characters.

Why I was just telling azteclady that I have to schedule some books for reading because I can become too much of a mood reader, wrong side of the tracks would make up 90% of my reading if I didn't direct myself to venture away.

Jill said...

I read FOR VACATION ONLY by Mila Nicks. Rich hero dumped at the altar goes on his luxury honeymoon cruise by himself, hits it off with the cruise's singer. They swear they're going to be just friends, but feelings ensue, of course. As I put it elsewhere, this would have made a great set of luxury cruise commercials (think Nescafe Love Over Gold) or a minor plot on 'The Love Boat.' And I love that show! But I was hoping for more depth than very pretty and very sweet people with external problems. This book did not deliver on a higher level. But! I finished it. And I'm in such a romance slump, I'll count it as a win.

Dorine said...

I know I've been in a slump for YEARS. Glad you found something you could gobble down quickly. I did as well, and after a year hiatus, I'm baaack. LOL Here's hoping we all can find something delicious for next month's challenge. :)

eurohackie said...

I feel all of you SO HARD about being in a reading slump. It's the pits! :( I managed to finish my choice for this month ("Their Icelandic Marriage Reunion" by Sophie Pembroke) but it took me 3 days to read a HQN Romance, and it really hit the wrong way for me, unfortunately. Lots of crap about social media influencers and the main characters whinging about their lack of privacy. I guess I'm an Old because I just could not bring myself to care. I will definitely try Sophie Pembroke again, but yeah. This read did not help the slumping feeling.

Wendy said...

AL: That's it for me too - I just want that feeling of being sucked into "another world." And the Appalachian setting of this book certainly did that for me, even if the story itself didn't light my world on fire.

Whiskey: I love a good Wrong Side Of The Tracks romance. The first book in this trilogy (also kind of a meh C read) played up that aspect really well and I admit I missed it with Book 2.

Jill: I'm a big fan of fluff as a palate cleanser, and you book sounds perfect for that! And now I'm humming The Love Boat theme 😂

Dorine: Welcome back! I have a long weekend ahead and my hope is to get some reading in. We'll see if my current historical romance sticks or if I'm going to end up throwing it over for another contemporary Harlequin (ooooh, maybe a Presents? Seriously, I'm all over the place right now with my reading mood).

Eurohackie: Maybe we can blame this all on the February blahs? A lot of folks seem to be stuck right now with reading.

Sigh, that's unfortunate about the Pembroke. I'm fairly certain I have that one in my digital TBR of doom too. I like her writing but what I'm discovering is that her books can be hit or miss for me....

Jen Twimom said...

Nice review. With a limited number of pages, I guess they needed stupid bad guys so they'd get caught more quickly! Too bad they didn't "get away." *wink*

Wendy said...

Jen: Oooo, I see what you did there! 🤣