Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Celebrating 20 Years

20 years ago I woke up and had the thought, "You know what Wendy? You're not nearly narcissistic enough.  You should totally start a blog!"  It was February 2003. I had just had my 4th anniversary of being a professional librarian. Coincidentally I had also been reviewing at The Romance Reader for 4 years. There was a respectable handful of romance novel web sites (All About Romance and Mrs. Giggles are still standing!) and no social media. Laurie Gold (founder of AAR) and Rosario (a reader living in Uruguay at the time) had blogs. Now I had one. Three of us. When I started this blog Blogger hadn't been bought out by Google yet, there was no commenting feature and what are these tags you speak of? It was very rudimentary but it's what we had.  

We soldiered on, throwing our words out into the Interwebs Wilderness and then...2005 happened. Suddenly it was a riotous explosion of blogs. Not a day goes by where I don't miss all those quirky, fun individual blogs that sprouted up during that time. Group blogs arrived and I wrote for many of them. By my count I've helped kill off at least three (Romancing the Blog, Reader's Gab, and Heroes & Heartbreakers).

I have seen things. I've lived the life cycle of romance reviewers being mean girls, then bloggers being mean girls, to somehow having the tide turn enough that I got a big shiny Librarian of the Year award from Romance Writers of America. This was during a period when my work life was not fantastic for various reasons. It's a marvel I never did put that plaque on a big ol' rope chain and rock it around the office. 

I've seen all the Drama Llama, some of it 3-4 times (there's very few new kerfuffles y'all).  I've watched self-publishing go from Crazy Guy printing his manifesto in his garage, to viable career option for writers. I remember when eBooks weren't "real books." I remember when I thought y'all would pry print out of my cold dead hands (I can't remember the last book I read that wasn't in a digital format...).  I remember listening to audiobooks on cassette and all y'all thinking I was completely insane because "why would you want to listen to a book?!"

So much has changed.  And yet, so much hasn't. 

For one thing, I'm still naïve enough to think that if more people read genre fiction the world would be a better place. For another, Romancelandia is still a pretty rad place even with the squabbles that sometimes have my eyes rolling back in my head. And while I sit in my rocking chair, cradling my adult beverage and non-illustrated clinch book covers, I marvel at these young whippersnappers with their BookTok and BookTube and Bookstagram and podcasts and what-not. I've seen the diversity of the genre and the voices supporting it grow. 

I've been ignoring the blogs are dead talk for at least a decade, mainly because I'm stubborn and the older I get the more I find social media problematic for a lot of reasons. I've seen this blog start with a readership of my Mom, to a whole bunch of people, to now a small group of loyalists who still regularly turn up and leave me comments now and then. 

I was a 20-something, still very green librarian when I started this blog. Now I'm living on the other side of the country and oversee a division of roughly 60 people. I feel like I've lived 10 lifetimes in just the past 3 years - and that's just on the work front. There have been many, many days where I've thought about putting this blog in mothballs. I'm older, I'm tired pretty much all the time, and my work is demanding. But, not to put too fine a point on it, I love this blog. I can't begin to tell you all the good it's brought to my life. A community. Friends. Yes, even accolades. 

I love this blog. I love reading. I love all of you. Thank you for reading this blog - whether it's been for a month or the past 20 years. 

26 comments:

azteclady said...

I swear if you ever quit the blog, I'll riot. ::clings fiercely::

Happy 20 (holy god!) years of blogging! You are an inspiration in so many ways, not the least of which is your stubborn determination to do this blogging thing your way.

Thank you, Wendy, I hope I'll see you here in another 20.

Miss Bates said...

Congratulations, Wendy! I'm where you are with the blogging...left for a few months and missed it fiercely, especially those now few, but all the more precious readers. In May, Miss Bates turns TEN! And you were my inspiration. We may be on the Titanic side of blogging, but we're still looking at the stars! Wishing you and your blog many many more years of reading and writing!

RandomRanter said...

20 is amazing! At this point I just assume either things will swing back to blogging, or we'll decide that newsletters and blogging are the same.

Rowena said...

TWENTY YEARS!??? Holy shit, Wendy. Congratulations, and I'm glad to see that you're still going strong. Love you, love this blog, and talk to you soon. I'm going to read our book this month, I swear...haha. Are you? Hehe.

Barb in Maryland said...

Wendy--
Congratulations on your anniversary! I've been a loyal reader for most of those years and I would miss you dearly if you quit.
Thank you!

Dorine said...

20 years! That's fantastic! I started reviewing 20 years ago (at RJ) in July 2003, so we're close in years for reviewing. I started my blog a few years later. And yes, you have always inspired me to continue. Good job!

Bronwyn Parry said...

Congratulations, Wendy, in 20 years of wonderful blogging. I may have been reading your blog for about that long, although in later years mostly through Feedly, which I guess is invisible to you in terms of stats. I enjoy your posts, sometimes pick up your recommendations (I don't do nearly enough reading these days) and totally appreciate your contribution to romancelandia. Thank you, for everything you have done and continue to do! (And sometime in a few months I'll finally have another unusual historical for you.)

S. said...

Happy birthday to your blog, Wendy!
I hope you can find the will and the joy in blogging for many years more!!
:D

Jill said...

Many, many congratulations! I'm so happy you're here and kicking. You're one of my regular stops on the internet. I remember when you got librarian of the year! And when you won a title from Smart Bitches for HABO, so I go pretty far
back.
I also prefer blogs to social media. I feel like blogs feel like a chill hang out over coffee with some folks you like and social media feels like a mosh pit with everyone screaming in your ears at once. Even when I was younger, I had very little patience for the latter. Now, that tolerance has gone from little to zero.
A wish for you for many, many more happy years of blogging.

Phyl said...

Congratulations Wendy! I'm so glad you've hung on all these years. It's no small thing. You pointed the way to so many great books. I'm grateful.

Elissa Christmas said...

Congrats, Wendy! That's quite an accomplishment, and I'll second all the others who have said that I'm glad you're still out there posting.

Susan Chapek said...

I've been reading for more than month, but not much more. Glad I discovered you!

Lori said...

Congratulations on a big anniversary! I don't remember exactly when I started reading here, but I've been around for most of the 20 years and I would miss you if you if you decided to close up shop, so I'm glad that you're still here.

Holly @smut report said...

Congrats on 20 years! I may be just a baby blogger, but I've found that I love the medium—and love reading the thoughtful stuff that you have to say about books.

Jazzlet said...

Congratulations Wendy!

I don't know how long I've been reading your blog, certainly since before you won Librarian of the Year. Anyways yours is one of the blogs I check every few days, because even though in general our tastes in romance mostly don't overlap I find you always have interesting things to say about the books. You have helped me work out what I do like, and to understand why I don't like the things I don't like, which has seen me wasting less time on starting books that were never going to be my thing. So here's to many more years!*

*At least I hope "here's to many more years", as much as I enjoy your blog I wouldn't want you to continue if you didn't also enjoy writing it.

Wendy said...

Thank you everybody! It's been great to read all these comments, some from long time readers 🥰.

Miss Bates: We are all indeed looking up at the stars 💗

(And Rowena - LOL! I better read next month's book since it was a suggestion I pulled out of the depths of my digital TBR!)

Love you all! May we all have many great reads on the immediate horizon!

eurohackie said...

I only found you a couple of years ago, but I would be devastated if you ever completely called it quits! Not just because you're doing the Lord's work with the TBR challenge, but because I also miss those days of blogs-as-community (I was an LJer back in the day myself) and there really isn't a viable alternative. So much social media is individually based and focused and its hard to commune in such an ecosystem. It sounds like we're of an age, and I totally get your I'm-old-and-tired-but-fiercely-stubborn resistance. I don't blog nearly as much as I used to, but I'm clinging on to Dreamwidth and giving lots of driveby traffic and silent shoutouts to my fellow holdouts.

Shine on, indeed! You're awesome and I'm so thankful that your voice is still heard in Romancelandia, where the sandbox can sometimes feel increasingly small to us oldsters.

azteclady said...

::raising water bottle to eurohackie:: Hear, hear!

Dorine said...

I have to also add that I don't always tell you, but you've added to my TBR exponentially! Especially historicals. I crave those and can't always source them myself. Thank you. I'd be a bored reader without you and everyone who visits this blog.

Jen Twimom said...

Congratulations Wendy! What an accomplishment. I agree - social media is problematic and I am old. I love reading book reviews and chatting with others in a plain and simple way. Thank you for continuing on!

Keira Soleore said...

Twenty Years, Wendy! What a huge accomplishment. I entered Romancelandia in 2006 joining message boards, such as Eloisa James and Candice Hern, and reading blogs, such as Risky Regencies, Word Wenches, and Squawk Radio. That led to individual bloggers, such as you, and through Twitter in 2008, to others all of whom had historical knowledge of the genre and whose tastes jived with mine. I have continued to stay in touch with many from 2006, which has been a blessing in my life. Despite dwindling readership, I am going on 16 years with my blog, and I hope you will continue your blog far into the future.

Whiskeyinthejar said...

Congrats on the 20yrs! I started in 2009 and miss and love all the friends that I've made along the way and your talking points were a lovely little look back at the journey.
Joining your tbrchallenge renewed my energy for stepping out and talking to new people, so thank you for friendly open challenge.

Wendy said...

Thank you again everybody for all the nice comments 🥰

@Keira - Squawk Radio! That's a blast from the past!

willaful said...

Never leave us, Wendy! You are our Grande Dame and we need you!

I was just thinking today about how much romance/romancelandia history was captured in blogs. I don't know if it's as available now as it was. Of course, it's also so much huger now. You can go to any number of different romance-centric social media spots and find people talking about completely different authors, genres, and books.

A said...

Congrats on 20 years! I found my way to your blog when I was in library school back in 2005. More of a lurker than active commenter, but I read every post via RSS feed. Because I too am of the Old Skool.

Keep on keeping on, Wendy!

Wendy said...

Willaful: I feel like Romancelandia has splintered off into various neighborhoods, and certainly self-publishing has a lot to do with that. We thought there was a ton of books published back in the day - ha! Little did we know. It's not an unusual occurrence these days for me to go "who?!" when I see chatter about books/authors in various social media circles.

A: Oh my! You have been reading for a long time!