Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, August 22, 2011

A Princess, A Knight And A Mixed Bag

I have never naturally gravitated towards the medieval time period in Historical Romance Novel Land.  However, I do like to read them, on occasion, to stretch my wings and keep my palate from getting bored.  Which would explain my theory on there being two types of medievals.  The first are those books that speak directly to medieval history junkies, those readers who already adore the setting.  The second are those medievals that can (and do) often work for the first group, but also have that ability to transcend to historical romance readers in general.  Those readers who love historical romances, but might not be that gung-ho on the time period.  I love finding the latter, but run into the former just as often.  Lindsay Townsend's To Touch The Knight is, I suspect, the former.

Edith of Warren Hamelt is a blacksmith's widow.  She has also buried a fiance' who died before they could take the trip down the aisle.  She's a resourceful girl, who uses her wits to get her whole village out of a jam.  When the Black Death comes rolling into town, their lord, fearing the spread of the disease, locks them all in the church (healthy and sick), leaving them to die.  Once she frees them, she hits upon a plan.  Using the fine silks and stories her sailor grandfather brought back from his travels, she'll play an exotic eastern princess with the other villagers playing her entourage.  They travel the circuit of various tournaments, where Edith, as a veiled princess, has many admirers among the competing knights.  She and the villagers are safe and well-fed, until an old enemy comes creeping out of the forest.

Sir Ranulf of Fredenwyke is a widower, who competes in the tournaments in the name of his dead wife.  He doesn't compete to win ladies' favors, or even the glory.  His motives are never entirely clear, but one gets the impression he isn't wild about moldering around Fredenwyke, where memories of his wife are everywhere.  When he hears rumblings about a princess, he decides to check her out for himself.  He's not that impressed, and isn't about to grovel at her feet, but something about her does intrigue him.  There's something more there than meets the eye....

On the surface, this story held a lot of promise.  I have not read an extensive catalog of medievals, but even I'm aware that stories centered around tournaments of archery, jousting, and the like aren't terribly common.  It gives this novel a nice backdrop, with not only the pageantry and chivalry, but also with the shadow of the Black Death lurking around every corner; giving the setting an intersting mix of "light" and "dark."  When looking at the sense of place and detail of this tale, there's a lot here that medieval fans should really enjoy.

The problem for me came with the romance.  Edith is lying.  OK, she has an excellent reason for lying, and lying characters aren't a deal-breaker for me by any stretch of the imagination.  The problem here is trust.  Edith and Ranulf keep a lot of details to themselves for a very long stretch.  Again, Edith has some cause, but she keeps on lying even after she should have gotten somewhat of a clue that Ranulf is a trustworthy sort.  That he's not going to throw her to the wolves.  These two have doubts about each other up until the very end, and it did not instill me with confidence that their love story was going to transcend the ages.

The pacing of this book was also an issue for me.  Admittedly, I do read a lot of category romance, but the first 100 pages of this story take a while to get off the ground.  There's a lot of set-up.  There's a lot of moving around of various chess pieces.  Because of this, I felt the conflict lacked a real sense of urgency.  The villain is present for the whole book, and while he is a "bad man," I never read those moments when he was on page with my heart in my throat.  A more foreboding sense of danger would have definitely helped move things along.

I appreciated the sense of place, the history, and the idea of the story.  It all boils down to the execution not entirely working for me.  Which leaves me with one of those books that sort of evened out in the end.  It didn't light my world on fire, but it also didn't have me reaching for vodka liquid courage either.  However, if you're a reader who adores medievals, and consider yourself a fan of the time period?  This one may be worth your consideration.

Final Grade = C

3 comments:

Kate said...

Did I first hear about this book here? I have it on my TBR Goodreads list and can't remember why since I don't think I've read this author before.

I like the idea of the travelling romance, and since I think I may be opposite you in that I don't read a lot of categories, the pacing hopefully won't bother me. I'm also sort of intrigued by something that bothered you with the lying and identities, since I tend to think that identity was really pretty fluid back then and am curious to see how this was executed in the book. But I'm also worried that the little medievalist in me will pipe up incessantly with anachronistic details when I read it, and I do really hate being that person. But I haven't read a good solid medieval romance in ages what with the glut of Regencies on the market, so I'm going to have to still check this one out soon. Hopefully literally, if my library carries it. (Who am I kidding? It won't.)

Thanks for the review!

JamiSings said...

I can't remember where I first heard about this book, but I do remember when reading the plot thinking "Wow, I so don't want to read that. Relationships need to be based on honesty, not lies." I can get on with fake identities and all that, but the hero and heroine both need to be honest with each other from the start. Otherwise I don't see a HEA. I see them lying to and cheating on each other.

Wendy said...

Kate: Yeah, I featured it in my last Unusual Historicals spotlight. The history felt "good" to me - but I'm not an armchair medievalist, so take that for what you will ;)

Jami: I can roll with lying/deceit among characters if theres "a good reason." And here - I thought the heroine had an extremely good reason. But....it did carry on for too long IMHO. I also think that giving more urgency to the villain's "badness" would have helped smoothe out some of the quibbles I had.....