Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Blogger Fun, Facelifts, Book Anticipation, And Johnny Mac

To start off today's hodge-podge of linky goodness, I'm "on the road" today over at Access Romance Readers Gab talking about "why romance novels?" Think of all the reasons you like to read romance, throw those reasons in a pot, let it simmer on the stove, and what are you left with? Why not go on over, read my post, and let the whole Interwebs know?

+++++

All About Romance has had a face lift! Go on over and take a gander. At first blush, I really like it. I haven't had a chance to poke around, navigate, or do much of anything other than glance at it - but it sure is pretty, and the front page is definitely loads more eye-catching! Congrats to the entire staff over there.

+++++

On Saturday a whole horde of So. Cal. Bloggers and authors got together in honor of Pearl being in town (and since she lives in Europe, it was a big occasion!). I suck and did not take any pictures, but several others did, so be sure to make your blogging hopping rounds in the next few days. We had a great time, and the parking lot book exchange was off the hook - as usual. I restrained myself and didn't buy any books at Borders, and only snagged three books from the exchange (all from the trunk of Lori's car - I'm pretty sure). I've been trying to restrain myself in the book buying department of late because 1) my TBR pile is beyond embarrassing and 2) Yes, I am going to RWA next month.

+++++

Holy crap! Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen comes out next week on June 29?! Why was I thinking it was a mid-July release? I mean, I already ordered our copies for work, but Gerritsen is one of those rare (rare, rare, way rare) authors I buy new and in hard cover. The release date sort of snuck up on me. Guess what will land in my shopping cart when I'm at Costco the weekend of July 2?


+++++

This warmed the cockles of my heart when I made my blogging hopping rounds this morning. John MacDonald (AKA "Johnny Mac") of Toronto Blue Jays fame, hit a home run yesterday on Father's Day. His father passed away earlier in the week after a battle with liver cancer.

If you're a casual baseball fan and don't know who Johnny Mac is, that's not all that surprising. He's a career utility player, having spent the bulk of his years in Toronto (he did have a cup of coffee with my Tigers a few years back). He's very solid defensively (short stop and second base) but is not known for his bat. Well, at all. Most of the time he can't hit the broad side of a barn. But he played long ball yesterday, and don't that just beat all? Brings a tear to my eye it does. You can watch the video of his bomb here.

Way to go Johnny. Dad would be proud.

3 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Johnny Mac's homer was so touching. I didn't watch the game, but I was listening to the post game wrap up and even they were emotional over it.

I'll have to hop around and catch the pictures of the SoCal blog meet. You guys - I envy you. So are all so lucky to have all these get togethers!!

Wendy said...

I guess I should have mentioned that Johnny spent a number of years with the Cleveland Indians as well - but dang, I've always thought of him as a "Blue Jay" - even when he did have that cup of coffee with the Tigers several years back.

Tracy posted pictures (which I see that you saw since you left a comment!) and I think Holly is going to do a post sometime this week-ish.....

nath said...

That is a lot of restraint. Seriously, I don't know how you do it :D

Oh man, RWA is really approaching fast!! :D