Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, December 1, 2008

The Month That Was November 2008

Even though I've done zero in preparation for Christmas, I am so insanely happy to see November bite the dust. Between evacuating because of the wild fires and my visiting in-laws gifting us with the Stomach Flu From Hell - let's just say I'm ready for something happy and fun to happen to me.

Although finding out that all my worldly possessions didn't burn up in said wild fire was pretty damn happy. That's something positive to focus on.

Despite all of that, I managed to finish 5 books in November. Not bad, not great, although nothing that really knocked my socks off - which is kind of disappointing.

Turner's Woman by Jenna Kernan, Harlequin Historical western, Grade = C+. I fell insanely, head over heels, in lurve with the heroine of this story. But the hero? Yeah, sped right past Alpha and landed straight in Jackass Idiot Moron Why Doesn't The Heroine Just Shoot Him Already? territory. Full review.

The Borrowed Bride by Elizabeth Lane, Harlequin Historical western, Grade = B-. A very emotional read about a woman who marries her beau's brother after he takes off for Alaska and she discovers she's pregnant. Loved the hero, found the heroine a little bland, but a good solid read. Review at TGTBTU.

A Christmas Wedding by Tracy Wolff, Harlequin SuperRomance, Grade = C-. A marriage-in-trouble story that had me hoping the hero would dump his wife and find a life of his own. Seriously, Did Not Like That Woman. Still, Wolff knows how to write a story, and I had a hard time putting this book down. Will be looking for her next HSR release. Review at TGTBTU.

Broken Wing by Judith James, Historical romance (France, England, various other locales), Grade = C. I had a hard time with the Telling Over Showing writing style, which led to me never fully connecting with the characters. Also, I prefer more fully realized heroines in my romance novels, and this book is All About The Tortured Hero. I did appreciate the Old School Vibe of this book, but that was pretty much about it. Full Review.

Frankly My Dear, I'm Dead
by Livia J. Washburn, Cozy Mystery, First In Series, Grade = B-. A piece of fluffy, brain candy that got me through a bout of the stomach flu. Heroine is a newly divorced travel agent specializing in "literary tours." When she takes a group to a plantation house, recreated to look like Tara, the actor playing Rhett Butler turns up dead in the garden. In order to save her fledgling business, heroine starts sticking her nose into the murder investigation. Cute read, typical cozy fare. A good, solid library read - and I'll probably try the next book in the series. No "official" review.

4 comments:

Lori said...

I'm so happy to see Nov leave us as well.

Glad you're feeling better :)

I read The Borrowed Bride over the weekend. I agree - the hero was wonderful!! So ... mmm... just great.

Nikki said...

Fine. I'll get a copy of The Borrowed Bride since both of y'all said it was worth it.

Rosie said...

I loathed November. It's mostly a blur. I'm blaming my boss. But now, it's a new day! Although still no reading list up. I swear...later today.

Kwana said...

I'm with you on quite a few of the Broken Wing points. I'll post my thoughts on my blog soon. Kristie may be at my door too! I thought the Sara was too weak and Gabriel had some nerve just being all jerky at the end. Humph! I like a girl to kick some butt.