Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Thursday, July 4, 2024

Frustrations, Silver Linings, and Small Joys

This blog is a dead zone because I haven't been reading. I'm in a slump and it's a slump born out of work stress and a general feeling of malaise that seems to hover over me like a marine layer that just won't burn off. 

This past Tuesday was really not a good day for me, born entirely out of work-related frustrations. I didn't hit a wall so much as hit a series of them one after another like Wile E. Coyote. I was emotionally bankrupt once I returned to the Bat Cave and something, who knows what, made me get online instead of just crawling into bed. That's where I found it, the silver lining. After a 14 hiatus, I'm finally getting Book 3 in Christa Faust's Angel Dare series for Hard Case Crime.  14 years people! I've been waiting for as long as my niece Lemon Drop has been alive!

The Get Off by Christa Faust 

Coming (heh heh) March 2025 and added emphasis in blurb is all mine.

WILL THE CHANCE FOR A NEW LIFE BE ANGEL’S LAST SHOT?

Tagged as a cop killer when a mission of vengeance goes wrong, Angel Dare finds herself on the run, with an unexpected burden: she’s pregnant. Her desperate flight takes Angel across the American west, where cattle barons lock horns with rodeo bullfighters and life can end suddenly and brutally. A renegade couple living off the grid near the border might offer a chance of escape – but can Angel reach them in time…?

Now, let's refresh our memories on Wendy's reaction to the second book in this series (published all the way back in the more halcyon days of 2011), Choke Hold.  

However the author makes some choices in this novel that drove my inner romance reader batty.  First, there's an unprotected sex scene.  This sex scene happens after a break in the action where our fair heroine literally escapes with her life.  Adrenaline is surging towards the OMG, We're Still Alive!  Let's Celebrate With Hot Sweaty Sexy Times! spectrum.  I get that.  But the romance reader in me?  She sees "unprotected sex" and immediately thinks, "That bitch is going to end up pregnant, I just know it."

Granted the chances of Angel ending up with a bun in the oven strain considerably - but stranger things have happened.  All I'm saying is if there's another book in this series down the road, and she's either 1) knocked up or 2) has a baby in tow.....

Wendy Mad, Wendy Smash!

Gentle Reader, after the day I had on Tuesday, and reading this old review that evening, I laughed near borderline cackled.  

Look, am I still annoyed Angel does end up pregnant? Yeah, mainly because it's not what I want in my noir vigilante heroines. But 14 years is a lot of water under the bridge and I'm just so happy Faust finally decided to come back to this series. Plus news of this what-is-surely-going-to-be-a-Dark-AF book lightened my epically dreadful mood on a day when I just wasn't feeling very good about much of anything. I'll take it - bun in the oven and all.

Sometimes it's the little things....

4 comments:

azteclady said...

Oh wow!

This book BETTER be all that, a coke and a bag of chips!

I hope things are better--or that you at least could rest a bit after all those walls and pianos and other assorted disasters.

Jazzlet said...

Adding hope that this book hits the spot despite the bun.

Also hoping it was just walls and pianos you hit, not full sized anvils being dropped on you.

Dorine said...

I feel for you. I've been in a reading rut, too. Straight fiction has me about to finish a book, I hope! Glad you found something to heal your heart after your awful day. Here's to a more positive rest of the summer!

Wendy said...

Ha ha! No anvils - not yet anyway.

Light might be at the end of the tunnel, at least with the reading. I picked up a brain candy cozy mystery to eyeball read and the audiobook I started today while running errands has me positively hooked after 25%. Here's hoping for strong finishes on both.

And waving to Dorine! So good to see you pop in to say hi!