Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

#TBRChallenge 2024: The Boy Is Back

The Boy Is Back Book Cover
The Book: The Boy Is Back by Meg Cabot

The Particulars: Contemporary Women's Fiction / Romance Adjacent, Book 4 in the Boy series, In Print, 2016

Why Was It In Wendy's TBR?: I'm a fan of Cabot's YA Princess Diaries series and I snagged a copy of this ARC from work. Yes, I'm aware the book came out in 2016.  Anyway, the ARC has been in my TBR all this time and it fit perfectly with this month's Once More With Feeling theme, so here we are.

The Review: A couple of things right out of the gate - while this is book four in a series, the series seems very loosely connected.  I have not read the previous Boy books and did just fine reading this one as a stand-alone.  Also, remember when books with illustrated covers actually meant "romantic comedy?"  This one definitely takes some broad strokes and while aspects of the story weren't always "funny" to me (more on that in a bit) - it was an enjoyable reading experience once I reminded myself to not take it so bloody seriously.

Reed Stewart is a golf pro whose game has been on the skids and now he's summoned back home to Bloomville, Indiana - a place he left 10 years ago and never looked back from.  His parents, who disowned him and threw him out on his ear, are in serious hot water.  They tried to pay for a dinner at a local casual dining establishment (think Applebee's) with a postage stamp they told the waitress was worth $100.  Yeah, turns out it was only worth $4, the cops were called, and charges have been pressed.  This is just the latest in a series of incidents with his parents.  Feral cats setting up camp around their home, out of control "collecting" turned to hording, and turns out...they're broke.  Flat broke. His older sister, Trimble, has washed her hands of them and basically tells the middle brother, Marshall, and his wife, Carly, that it's their problem now - hence begging Reed to come home after a 10 year exile.  If nothing else they need his help financially to sort out the mess.

The fly in the ointment? The girl Reed left behind, Becky Flowers. The night Reed's father disowned him happened to be their prom night. Teenage drinking, a golf cart, and a country club swimming pool later - Becky has a dislocated shoulder, Reed hightails it out of town, and she never hears from him again. Now running her father's moving company, Becky specializes in helping seniors downsize and get their affairs in order - which is how she enters back into Reed's orbit. His sister-in-law, Carly, hires Becky to help sort out the mess with his parents. She is also dating the owner of the local wine and cheese shop, although it's a relationship on life support by the time Reed blows back into town.

This is a epistolary retelling of Austen's Persuasion, with the story told through emails, text messages, and group chats. It works surprisingly well and was compulsively readable.  I tore through the majority of the book in a couple hours one evening.

What doesn't work as well?  There are uncomfortable underpinnings to the humor. The situation that Reed's parents are in is not a laughing matter, but is played that way through the tone and some light wackiness. It's a little squirm-inducing at times. Also some of the humor is aging rapidly - like Reed's niece who is obsessed with wearing her Chief Massasoit costume (although there's some funny bits about parenting and cultural appropriation during those scenes).  Again, the only way this really works is if you don't take it seriously, which is generally easier for me to do with a Cabot novel because she tends to keep her tone so light and frothy.

While there is a second chance romance in this book, there's also a fair number of secondary characters and it takes a while for Reed and Becky to cross each others' paths again.  Also, while it was FANTASTIC that Becky and Reed pay lip service to 10 years being a long time, they're not kids anymore, they've both grown up, yada yada yada - they still are incredibly hung up on each other and fall right back into a relationship without too much heavy lifting. It's all right as rain in the end without the reader seeing any real "work" for the two characters to get there.

Is this a good book I would recommend?  Well, it depends. I certainly had issues with it, but it kept me entertained and it hit my brain candy sweet spot.  I don't have a burning desire to necessarily go back and read the other books in this series, but I also don't regret reading this one - if that makes any sense whatsoever.  I had a good time reading it even with the quibbles, even though it didn't change my life.  Oh, and I liked the ending. The resolution to what's been going on with Reed's parents and how Reed and Becky address their new relationship (he's in California, she's in Indiana).  He's not doing all the taking and she ain't doing all the giving.  That was good enough for me.

Final Grade = B-

10 comments:

azteclady said...

Well, this feels like a pretty decent start to the challenge for this year, Miz Wendy.

eurohackie said...

I wanted to start this year's challenge strong, so I chose "Joe's Wife" by Cheryl St John, one of my tried-and-true authors. There was certainly baggage galore and lots to sink your teeth into here, which is exactly what I want from an HH western. The ending was a little "meh" but otherwise I really enjoyed it, and it reaffirmed why St John is one of my favorites.

Jill said...

Ah, I really had my heart set on one particular book for this challenge b/c it was my book club read pick too. But, alas, it was a total dud for me and I ran out of time.
I've got at least two options lined up for next month so I should be better off.

azteclady said...

@Eurohackie: oh, I'm pretty sure I have this one in ye olde print TBR cordillera; should go find it...

Whiskeyinthejar said...

without the reader seeing any real "work" for the two characters to get there.

One of my biggest pet peeves, part of that depth I like.

At least it hit that brain candy spot, I like to get those books every once and awhile because they do energize, sugar rush I guess lol

S. said...

Hello Wendy!

I've read this book in 2019 and had to check my notes because I can't remember details anymore... In the end, I've found it average without enough depth.

Plus, I did read the other books in the series, many years before and one of the things I missed here was a connection to that. I did like the first 3 books a lot more when I originally read.
Perhaps this should not have been labeled part of the series or perhaps it was only a marketing choice...

Happy reading!

Wendy said...

AL: It was a decent start! And yes, you should find your copy of Joe's Wife LOL

Eurohackie: I read Joe's Wife years ago and really loved it at the time. It's one of hers I keep meaning to reread - maybe this year?

Jill: I need to start digging around in my TBR now for next month - I'm sure I have books that will fit the Furry Friends theme, it's just a matter of unearthing them.

Whiskey: Yeah, this one scratched an itch because sometimes I need fluffy brain candy - but the romance was definitely not "deep."

S: Entirely possible it was a marketing choice! I saw a few reviews from people who were disappointed in this book after enjoying the previous three. And yes, your assessment is spot on. I had fun reading it but a deep book it was not.

Jen Twimom said...

Pretty decent start to the TBR challenge. I didn't realize Cabot wrote adult literature.

I recently read a book from the early 2010s and there were a few problematic statements ("so r*t*rded") that made me cringe, but not enough that I stopped reading. However, it's very jarring when otherwise enjoying a story.

eurohackie said...

@AztecLady - I second the notion to grab this one from Mount TBR! Beyond the otherwise intelligent heroine knowing absolutely nothing about her own body (...), its really good. My qualms are my own (I'm not a fan of Grand Gestures) but I'd heartily recommend it.

@Wendy: I have a hard time with deciding whether to re-read novels by favorite authors or take another precious backlist book off the pile, LOL!!

I'm fairly certain I have next month's book picked out already. Hopefully it will be as fun as this month's was!

Wendy said...

Jen: Certainly her YA stuff has been more successful. Back in the day she wrote a couple of historical romances as Patricia Cabot - not sure if those if those are still in print?

Eurohackie: I have a hard time with rereading because my TBR is so huge. TBR Guilt is a thing.