Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Friday, December 1, 2023

All Aboard! Sign-Up for the 2024 #TBRChallenge!

#TBRChallenge 2024

I want to thank everyone who took the time to fill out my poll soliciting theme suggestions for the 2024 TBR Challenge. There were a bunch of really great suggestions and this year every single theme came from the poll!

For those of you stumbling across my blog for the first time, you're probably wondering - what is the #TBRChallenge?

Your mission, should you choose to accept it: once a month pull a dormant book out of your TBR pile and read it.  On the 3rd Wednesday of the month, talk about that book.

Participation is as easy as being on social media!
  • If you're on social media all you need to do is use the #TBRChallenge hashtag - there's no need to sign-up and your participation can vary throughout the year.
  • You can use this hashtag on any day, at any time - but we're still going to concentrate on the 3rd Wednesday of every month to kick our commentary into high gear.  
  • The idea is to have at least one day a month where we can always count on there being book chatter.
Want to let your blogging freak flag fly?  If you have a blog and want to post TBR commentary there, drop me a comment on this post with a link to your blog or hit me up on Twitter, Bluesky or Mastodon.  I like to post links to the various blogs on my TBR Challenge page so those who follow along can start following you.

Sound good?  Of course it does!  So what are the themes for 2024?  So glad you asked!

January 17 - Once More With Feeling
February 21 - Furry Friends
March 20 - Not in Kansas Anymore
April 17 - No Place Like Home
May 15 - With a Little Help From My Friends
June 19 - Bananapants!
July 17 - What a Wonderful World
August 21 - Everyday Heroes
September 18 - Drama!
October 16 - Spooky (Gothic)
November 20 - It Came From the 1990s!
December 18 - It's a Party!

I know some of these are going to require a bit of planning on my part, but remember - if it all seems like too much bother - the themes are always optional. The goal of this challenge isn't so much what you read, so long as you're reading something (anything!) out of your TBR.

My hope is always for this Challenge to be low-key, stress-free and fun!  So I hope you'll consider joining this year. Be like me - use this Challenge to delude yourself into thinking you're actually making some progress on your book hoarding 😉.

20 comments:

willaful said...

Yay! Great theme list!

I'm in, as always. willaful.wordpress.com

azteclady said...

Fun themes--and I spot one of my suggestions ::preens::

**ahem**

Anyway, I'm in again!

at: https://herhandsmyhands.wordpress.com/

Thank you for hosting the challenge again, Wendy.

Wendy said...

Willa + AL: Yippee! Welcome back to you both!

Jill said...

Ooh, I'm really excited by these themes. I love a challenge!

S. said...

Wendy, so good to see this happening another year :)
Thank you!

I'm certainly going to do it again :D

Jen Twimom said...

OH! This looks like a lot of fun! I think I may have even suggested one (I can't remember at this point!) Anyhow... I will make 11 of 12 this year - so exciting!! Time to start planning January!

Wendy said...

Jill: Yes, everyone who submitted ideas for themes really outdid themselves!

S & Jen: I've got links to both your blogs added to the Challenge page.

Welcome back all of you!

azteclady said...

Is it just me, or did Willa's and my comment disappear?

Wendy said...

AL: Not just you. They were there, and when I checked just now - they were sitting in my spam filter. I'm thinking because you both provided links (which I asked for) that Blogger swept you up after the fact. I've restored the comments.

azteclady said...

ah!

It actually makes sense, all things considered. (thanks)

Caz said...

I'm in this year - Caz's Reading Room (www.bookish29.wordpress.com) and All About Romance. Not sure what I'm going to make of some of those themes, but I'll give it a go!

Wendy said...

Caz: Woot! Links posted on the TBR Challenge 2024 page. Glad you're back for next year!

Dorine said...

If one year you don't succeed, try, try, again! I read books on theme each month, but never blogged. This year my schedule should be better. (www.thezestquest.com) Great themes!

Whiskeyinthejar said...

I was a horrible participant this year and dropped off but I'm ready to get back in the saddle in '24!
I'm going bananapants over seeing June's Bananapants! I NEED to find the best one for this lol

https://whiskeyinthejarromance.blogspot.com/

Wendy said...

Dorine: Hey, you still got the books read! I've got a link to your blog added to the info page.

Whiskey: I'm wondering how many Old School historicals and Harlequin Presents we'll see that month LOL. I've got a link to your blog added to the info page.

Welcome back both of you!

Victoria Janssen said...

I'm in! https://victoriajanssen.com/

eurohackie said...

These prompts look pretty hard, but I'm willing to give it a shot! I've enjoyed participating in the challenge these last couple of years, and goodness knows Mount TBR continues to grow unabated.

Eurohackie @ Goodreads & The Vintage Romance Reader http://vintageromancereader.dreamwidth.org/

Wendy said...

Hey, hey - welcome back Victoria and Eurohackie! I've got you added to the Challenge information page.

Eurohackie: Yes, some of these prompts are going to take more planning than I'm used to (uh, which means no grabbing a random book from the pile the weekend before LOL). Some of the folks who submitted theme suggestions also expanded on their thought process. For example, January's theme is Once More With Feeling and whoever suggested it gave examples of Second Change, Reunion, new career, moving to a new area, a character returning to their home town etc. I'll try to include these suggestions when I do my monthly reminder posts!

rebecca said...

Let's try this again... surely this is the year I do more than 2 or 3? 😉https://beckymmoe.com

Wendy said...

Hey, hey - welcome back Becky! I've added a link to your blog to the information page.