Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, October 9, 2023

Mini-Reviews: More Cozies

Blessedly just as I desperately needed one, I had a long weekend away from work. In between being a responsible grown-up and completing such glamorous tasks as cleaning my oven, I got some reading done.  I've read some good books this year, but honestly 2023 has been a struggle reading-wise. I'm either devouring books or slogging through them. This post features an example of both.>Fun fact: I went to high school with Cynthia Ellingsen. She's a couple years younger (I was friends with her older sister...) but both Cynthia and I were Band Kids. A Play for Revenge is the fourth book in her Starlight Cove series for Amazon's Lake Union imprint (which means it's available via Kindle Unlimited) and stands alone fairly well (I've read book 1, but 2 and 3 are still in my TBR). 

Lily Kimura is fresh off a divorce and has returned to her small Northern Michigan hometown of Starlight Cove to work for the tourism bureau. Once upon a time, her grandmother (an actress) ran the local theatre, staging various summer stock productions that brought in some high profile names to star in plays. But several years ago the theatre caught on fire, a young actress died, and it stayed closed - until now. A mysterious benefactor has poured money into remodeling the theatre and a production of Chicago starring Hollywood heartthrob Arlo Majors is the first show of the season. Unfortunately it turns out not everybody is happy about the theatre reopening. A mysterious play is found in the orchestra pit, there's sinister noises that have the young actors tittering about ghosts, and Lily is getting sinister emails.

This book is like a small town romance women's fiction novel had baby with a cozy mystery and unfortunately it gives the story a very scattered feel.  I was all in on the mystery of the theater fire and the actress's death. Unfortunately it takes a back seat until the second half the book. Prior to that we're regaled with Lily navigating her life post-divorce, dealing with her ex (who has moved on) and his slipping relationship with their daughter.  Lily's parents, former small business owners, have retired but now when they should be enjoying their lives post-retirement, their marriage is showing signs of cracking. Then there's the flirtation with Arlo Majors, which is welcome but complicated. Her ex has already remarried (with a woman he "met" while married to Lily) and Lily is concerned about her daughter.  This last storyline is the traditional set-up for a romance, but it doesn't play out that way by the end. Granted, Lily shouldn't end up with Arlo, but the other natural pairing with Dean Harrington (a local police officer) is given such short shift, I didn't buy that either. In the end it's about Lily's journey, and since I really only cared about the dead actress and the fire....meh, on Lily's journey.

Fans of the light mysteries on the Hallmark Channel should check out this series, but for me this one felt too all over the place and the first half was a bit of a slog for me.

Final Grade = C

Apparently my nostalgia for the days when I devoured cozy mysteries is stronger than I thought. For Whom the Book Tolls by Laura Gail Black is the first book in her Antique Book Shop Mysteries and was another recommendation I picked up thanks to Azteclady's blog. You should read her review because she brings up valid points, but I think I ended up liking this one a tinch more than she did. In fact, it's the best cozy I've read in a while and reminded me of why I used to devour them in my younger days.

Jenna Quinn's life exploded spectacularly in Charlotte, and looking for a fresh start jumps at her uncle's invitation to stay with him for a while in Hokes Folly, North Carolina. She can help out in his antiquarian bookshop and get her feet back under her, never mind she hasn't seen him in well over a decade.  Jenna arrives very late, and per her uncle's instructions, let's herself into the apartment above the shop. It's not until the next morning that she stumbles across Uncle Paul's body lying at the bottom of the spiral staircase leading to the bookstore. Having found the body, being new to town, naturally the cops start to zero in on her - so it certainly doesn't help when Jenna finds out she's inherited the entirety of Uncle Paul's estate - the shop, the apartment, and a windfall between his savings and life insurance policy. She decides if she wants to find out the truth about Uncle Paul's murder, plus save her own skin, she can't rely on the police. She's going to do some snooping on her own.

First things first, there's no faffing about in this book. The dead body and high stakes show up within the first couple of chapters and we're off to the races. Jenna's distrust of the police and what happened in Charlotte are compelling backstory and backed up by the lead investigator in her uncle's death being the worst sort of pigheaded cop who tries to wheedle and fit "facts" to suit the narrative he wants to exist. Things move along at a very good clip, with a second body showing up right on queue and the author giving us a few options on suspects and motives.  Unfortunately I do think she tipped her hand a bit early, but I tore through the audiobook as Jenna snoops around looking for clues. 

The one quibble I have here is the "romance" - which felt dashed off and frankly half-assed.  The other cop on her uncle's case is "the good cop," handsome, and Jenna makes googly-eyes at him - but he's a very minor player in the story until the end when suddenly they're holding hands and playing kissy-face. There just wasn't enough work put into this aspect of the story to make me actually believe it.  It would have made more sense for the googly-eyes to continue and then have the author spin out the romance further in future books - of which there are 3 more to date after this one.

I rather liked this. The pacing was very solid, the stakes suitably high, and I felt like the mystery was front and center (not playing second fiddle to cutesy Southern small town shenanigans). I've already downloaded the second book in the series.

Final Grade = B

1 comment:

azteclady said...

Oh, yay! I'm so glad this one worked so well for you!

And three more yays for a relaxing weekend spent reading.