Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Saturday, December 4, 2021

It's Heeeeere! Sign-Up for the 2022 #TBRChallenge!

 

Thank you everyone who recently took the time to fill out my Google Form soliciting theme suggestions for the 2022 TBR Challenge.  There were some really interesting suggestions this year and while some of these might seem "limiting" on the surface - well, they really aren't.  Tales of Old for example could cover anything from historicals, to retellings (so many Austen options!), to time travel.  After the War could be, quite literally, after a war or it could mean a heroine recovering from a terrible divorce and/or break-up.  I'm all about bending and shaping the themes to your whims.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves.  What is the #TBRChallenge?

Your mission, should you choose to accept it: once a month pull a dormant book out of your TBR pile and read it.  On the 3rd Wednesday of the month, talk about that book.

Participation is as easy as being on social media!
  • If you're on social media all you need to do is use the #TBRChallenge hashtag - there's no need to sign-up and your participation can vary throughout the year.
  • You can use this hashtag on any day, at any time - but we're still going to concentrate on the 3rd Wednesday of every month to kick our commentary into high gear.  
  • The idea is to have at least one day a month where we can always count on there being book chatter.
Want to let your blogging freak flag fly?  If you have a blog and want to post TBR commentary there, drop me a comment on this post with a link to your blog or hit me up on Twitter.  I like to post links to the various blogs on my TBR Challenge page so those who follow along can start following you.

Sound good?  Of course it does!  So what are the themes for 2022?  So glad you asked!

January 19 - Quickie
February 16 - Fairy Tale
March 16 - Grumpy
April 20 - Location, Location, Location
May 18 - Tales of Old
June 15 - After the War
July 20 - Vintage
August 17 - Blue Collar
September 21 - Animals
October 19 - Flirting with Danger
November 16 - Lies
December 21 - Festive

All of the themes were suggestions culled from the survey, with a couple minor tweaks on my part.  I know some of these are going to require a bit of planning on my part, but remember - if it all seems like too much bother - the themes are always optional. The goal of this challenge isn't so much what you read, so long as you're reading something (anything!) out of your TBR.

My hope is always for this Challenge to be low-key, stress-free and fun!  So I hope you'll consider joining this year. Be like me - use this Challenge to delude yourself into thinking you're actually making some progress on your book hording 😉.

22 comments:

azteclady said...

I really really want to sign up this year! But my reading is shit (SHIT), so I'm making a deal with myself: if I manage to write a review for the two new-to-me books I read in the past two months, and read one (1) new-to-me book in December, I'll sign up.

(I'm aware this makes no sense, but when desperate, etc)

Victoria Janssen said...

This was so great this year I am definitely doing it again. So excited to pick books for the themes. http://victoriajanssen.com/

Lover Of Romance said...

This looks like so much fun hee!!! I just might join in this one.

Miss Bates said...

Hmmm, I'm utter crap at this, but I'm signing up and hoping my departure from SM will see me read MOAR. Also, post ... also, put a dent in the TBR. Best laid plans and all that. I'll be on https://missbatesreadsromance.com

Jen Twimom said...

My goal for 2022 is to try to read more from my TBR and/or library. So I am going to make an effort to hit a least a couple of the months this year. There are some interesting themes and I love the different interpretations you suggest.

willaful said...

I'm pleased to see I didn't do as badly this year as I'd thought I had. And of course I'm ready for further punishment! ;-)

Wendy said...

Seriously y'all - work is kicking my a$$ right now. Ahem. Anyway...

Victoria, Miss Bates, Jen Twimom and Willaful - I've got your blogs linked on the TBR Challenge 2022 information page. Welcome aboard!

Lover of Romance and AztecLady - if you guys decide to join (even if it's after January 2022!) just let me know. I take sign-ups all year long. It's never too late.

Unknown said...

I’m going to do this! I don’t have a blog but will mention the challenge in my Goodreads review.

Dorine said...

I'm in! I did the reading challenge this year (yay), but couldn't get my blogging act together (boo hiss) due to traveling so much! This year I hope to be less of a gypsy. At least most of the time. LOL http://thezestquest.com/

S. said...

Hello Wendy!

I'm definitely going to do the challenge again, it's a lot of fun picking titles!
Happy holidays!

Whiskeyinthejar said...

I had so much fun this year with this challenge, I'm definitely in for next year!
https://whiskeyinthejarromance.blogspot.com/

I enjoy the illusion that I'm clearing off my shelves (even as I add new ones on because of everyone's reviews).

Lover of Romance, I'm excited to see you thinking of joining!

Kristie (J) said...

So though I fail this challenge, I'm going to get up, dust myself off and try all over again.

Wendy said...

Unknown: You are more than welcome to participate via GoodReads!

Dorine, S., and Whiskey: Yippee! Welcome back! I've got links to your blogs added to the information page.

KristieJ: I've also added your blog to the information page. And remember - IT'S TOTALLY OK TO IGNORE THE OPTIONAL THEMES! So long as it's a book you pull out of your TBR, it all counts :) I know how much of a mood reader you are...

eurohackie said...

I hope you had a nice holiday season :) I have utterly failed at the 'festive' theme but the challenge was a lot of fun, and it helped me uncover some real gems on Mount TBR, so I'd like to participate again :) I'll be at GR and (when applicable) here: https://vintageromancereader.dreamwidth.org/

Lillian @ Mom with a Reading Problem said...

I’m hoping to participate this year. It’s been a few years �� Thanks for hosting it again!
Lillian @ Mom with a Reading Problem
https://www.momwithareadingproblem.com

Wendy said...

Hey, hey, hey - welcome aboard Eurohackie and Lillian. I have links to your blogs added to the Information Page.

rebecca said...

I kept getting distracted last year, but my TBR isn't getting any smaller so count me in again!

Becky on Books https://beckymmoe.com

Wendy said...

Welcome back Becky! I've added a link to your blog to the Information Page.

azteclady said...

::whispering:: I think I will do this officially. (I have read the thing for January, and the review will post on Wednesday--fingers crossed for the rest of the year)

Wendy said...

AL: Woot! I've got your blog added to the Info Page.

Rae said...

Okay. So I want to get back to this blog reviewing stuff...this'll be a good reset. :)

raesalley.wordpress.com

Wendy said...

Hey, hey Rae! Welcome aboard. I added a link to your blog on the information page.