Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Friday, December 8, 2017

All Aboard! #TBRChallenge 2018 Sign-Up

Of course I didn't forget.  It's that time again Bat Cave and Romancelandia residents!  Time to look ahead to the new year, when hope will (hopefully) spring eternal and we begin making big plans to finally (ha ha ha!) conquer our To-Be-Read piles mountain ranges.  It's time to sign up for the the 2018 #TBRChallenge!

I've decided to make some changes this year in the hopes that more casual followers of the Challenge will join in on the fun.  There's, technically, no official sign-up this yearWha?!?!  That's right.

  • If you're on social media all you need to do is use the #TBRChallenge hashtag.  
  • You can use this hashtag on any day, at any time - but we're still going to concentrate on the 3rd Wednesday of every month to kick our commentary into high gear.  
  • The idea is to have at least one day a month where we can always count on there being book chatter.

Participation can happen across all social media platforms and your participation can vary month to month (hey, life happens).  This all being said, if you're like me and plan to have the bulk of your commentary live on a blog please "officially" sign-up by leaving me a comment and a link to your blog.

Why?  Let's get real for a moment.  Blogs are dying and Wendy loves blogs.  So if you are a dinosaur, like me, and still have a blog, I'd like to promote it even if it's in this small way.  I'll provide a link to your blog on the #TBRChallenge 2018 Information Page and hopefully readers will follow you, like what they see, and become new blog followers.

Sound good?  Of course it does!  So what are the themes for 2018?  So glad you asked!

January 17 - We Love Short Shorts! (shorter reads)
February 21 - Backlist Glom (author with multiple books in your TBR)
March 21 - Sugar or Spice (closed door romance or spicy romance)
April 18 - Kicking It Old School (original publication date older than 10 years)
May 16 - Contemporary
June 20 - Comfort Read
July 18 - Favorite Trope
August 15 - Series (book that's part of a series)
September 19 - Historical
October 17 - Paranormal or Romantic Suspense
November 21 - Cover Girl (a book with a pretty cover - or a horrid one)
December 19 - Holiday (any holiday!)

As always, the themes are optional.  Don't like 'em, don't have to use them.  See how easy this is?  I mean really, how could you not want to join in on the fun?

39 comments:

Bona Caballero said...

I'm so sorry to hear that blogs are dying. I've only been here for three years! Anyway, I will try the TBR Challenge again in 2018. Thank U for hosting it again!

willaful said...

My words seem to have dried up lately :-(... but here's hoping next year will be better. https://willaful.wordpress.com/

azteclady said...

Hope springs, so I'm signing up again.

Wendy said...

Thanks Ladies! I've got you all added to the Information Page :)

Anonymous said...

I'm in - Caz's Reading Room and at AAR.

S. said...

I'm signing up too!
I still feel like writing in my blog even if it's not what others/readers want lol
****

Jill said...

I'll be around in some capacity! Thanks for continuing to host.

Wendy said...

Okey doke - Caz and Sonia, I have you both added.

Jill: You are more than welcome to continue commenting on my blog posts like you did this past year. Whatever you decide!

Mrs Giggles said...

I'll still be doing TBR 2018. And blogs aren't dying. They are just... getting smaller, shorter. That's what I like to think anyway. At least blogs had a momentum far longer than "BookTube".

Wendy said...

Got you added Mrs. G! Dinosaurs. We're all dinosaurs. But we're the coolest dinosaurs EVER!

Limecello said...

I'm in again! Well me, maybe ALBTALBS - regardless, I and or someones are going to try! Thank you for doing this!

Wendy said...

Lime: You're added! Thanks for joining again!

Lynn Spencer said...

I'm in again! Trying to remember how many years this is...

Wendy said...

Lynn: I've got you added! And it's been a number of years! I took over the Challenge in 2011. I can't remember if AAR did it that year or if you guys signed on in 2012. Either way, a long time!

Dorine said...

I'm excited to join again in 2018! Thanks so much for continuing to support our blogs in this way, Wendy. I love this challenge and look forward to chatting with everyone every month. :) I think this will be my third year and I'm happy to be an "alive" dinosaur. LOL

Wendy said...

Dorine: Glad you're signing up again! I've got you added to the 2018 page.

Kelly Gunter Atlas said...

I'm re-enlisting for the TBR Challenge again this year. It helped me stay on track this past year when life was falling apart all around me. Thank you for all you do Wendy!https://katlass.wordpress.com/

Wendy said...

Woot! Happy to have you back Kelly! I've got you added to the 2018 page.

Gabi Stevens said...

I would like be to try the #tbr challenge for 2018. I am always looking for blog material and this will help. Can I be an author and participate? www.GabiStevens.com

Wendy said...

Gabi: Yes! You can be an author and participate! I've had authors participate in the past. The only difference is that I include your first and last name on the information page :)

I've got you added. Thanks for joining!

Liz Mc2 said...

I'm in again this year! I missed it in the horrors of 2017. https://myextensivereading.wordpress.com

Wendy said...

Liz: Welcome back! I've got you added to the info page.

Miss Bates said...

I missed doing this last year and was quite remiss the year before. But this will be the year of no guilt blogging, so sign me up, please, and thank you again for hosting. In this mad, mad world, it's great to be a part of something good.

My home-blog is:

https://missbatesreadsromance.com/

Wendy said...

Miss Bates: I have you added! LOL - yeah. I always have the best of intentions every year to read some of the large trade paperbacks and single titles out of my TBR. What usually ends up happening? I'm late starting a book to meet my OWN deadline and end up reading a mess of Harlequins. Luckily I own a butt-ton of them....

Cheryl said...

Blogging for over ten years and still loving it. Let's be dinosaurs together.

https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2018/01/2018-reading-challenges-focusing-on-my.html

Wendy said...

Cheryl: Yes! Dinosaurs Unite! I've got you added to the Challenge page. Thanks for signing up!

AgnesMackBooks said...

I'm excited to get started! Thanks for hosting.

https://agnesmack.com/2018/01/02/hello-welcome-to-my-triumphant-return/

Wendy said...

Hi Agnes: Thanks for joining! I've got a link to your blog added to the information page.

Anonymous said...

Second time participating. Hopefully I'll be able to post every month this year!

https://booksophisticate.wordpress.com/2018/01/09/tbr-challenge-2018/

Buriedbybooks said...

Please sign me up. :) We all know I'll only do about half, but I love this challenge. Thanks for hosting it again.

Amber at https://buriedbybooks.blogspot.com/

Wendy said...

OK - Book Sophisticate and Amber, you're both added. Woot!

Unknown said...

I'm in! And I promise I will actually do it this year.

Lara said...

I'm keeping track of my #TBRchallenge reads on my Goodreads shelf - feel free to friend me on there: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/18499870-lara-maynard?shelf=2018-tbrchallenge

I got through 12 backlist titles in January 2018 I think.

I also blog about books sometimes at The Bletchley Circle Watchers #TBCW on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheBletchleyCircleWatchers/ and am trying to start to make it regular on Fridays as a #Fridayreads feature. These feature fiction and nonfiction books relevant to themes, tropes, genres, topics of the TV series.

And on other social media I'm on Twitter as @MaynardLara and IG doing a bit of bookstagramming as @lara.maynard

Open to making other social media book buddies!

Wendy said...

Hi Lara! I'm now following you on Twitter and over at Goodreads. When on social media, be sure to use the #TBRChallenge hashtag so people can find you. I usually try to retweet and tweet on TBR Challenge day, but January got away from me. The hashtag is a godsend for months when I end up falling down on the job.

Welcome aboard!

Unknown said...

I'm late to the party but as they say, better late than never! Got my new website up and working so I'm ready to join in the TBR Challenge fun. I read so many great books last year. Crossing my fingers that this year continues to have good book karma. :)

Unknown said...

It would've been good to include my blog page. Good grief!

http://www.lynnbalabanos.com/news/

TGIF. It's been one of those weeks. :)

Wendy said...

Lynn: Woot! I'm glad you're signing up again! I've got you linked to the information page.

Christina On A Mission said...

Hi Wendy, I've surprised myself keeping up with the challenge the last two months. Not tweeted all that much but have blogged so would love to add my blog to the list if I'm not too late.
http://christinabevan.co.uk/index.php/category/blog/book-challenges/

Wendy said...

Hello Christina! No, not too late! I saw your use of the #TBRChallenge hashtag for February, so I'm happy to see you're officially signing up. I've got a link to your blog added to the information page.