Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, December 15, 2008

She's Still A Rock Star

I love it when blog readers e-mail me blog fodder. It makes coming up with posts that much easier!

Anyway, this latest bit of librarian awesomeness comes from regular blog visitor Jenifer by way of my home state of Michigan.
Ann Arbor District Library director Josie Parker may have a pleasant Southern accent and good manners, but don't question her toughness. On Sunday, Parker pursued a thief after he grabbed a collection box of money donated for a local charity called the Family Book Club. In the process, she broke her leg and the thief got away - but not with any money.
Go on with your bad self Josie!

The full article can be found here, although it might be best to ignore the more troll-like comments that suggest Josie chasing after the "desperate" thief wasn't the smartest thing to do. OK, probably not. But two things to consider here:

1) Adrenaline

2) The principle of the matter

Stealing from a library is right up there with stealing from a church or taking candy from a baby.

So yeah, I stand by my "go on with your bad self!"

8 comments:

Jessica said...

And people say librarians are boring -- I don't think so!

Thanks for the story. :)

jenifer said...

Couldn't agree more about the troll-like comments. Like she really stood there and thought, "I know I'm going to break my leg chasing after this guy, but it's worth it."

I know Josie, and she does have a pleasant accent and good manners, though anyone who knows her would have known better than to question her toughness even before this incident. Still, chasing after a thief goes above and beyond!

Travis Erwin said...

Too bad she got hurt, but good for her for going after the scum.

josie said...

thank you super_librarian.
I have no regrets!

Sir-Ox-A-Lot said...

This is why Librarians in North Carolina carry guns...much easier to just shoot the lowlife.

Ok...well in the world I have created for myself, librarians carry guns...and dress like Pamela Anderson...but that is a topic for another time.

Tara Marie said...

I want to be a librarian--love the button :)

Wendy said...

Weeee, thanks for stopping by Josie!

Ox: Gotta say, I'm digging the bad ass librarian fetish. As long as we're talking Pammie from her Barbed Wire days and not Pammie today. Girlfriend has been looking more than a bit haggard of late.....

jenifer said...

There's CNN video to go along with the story now, if you're interested.
video

Pamela Anderson, huh? Interesting.