Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Friday, November 16, 2007

The Book That Ate New York

First things first, the Harlequin Reading Challenge is officially over. Industrious little wiener that I am, I reviewed every book. So be sure to hit the link if you have the desire to catch-up or relive the glory. Gotta say, it was kind of fun and it did keep me focused. I might have to do more of these reading challenges once the new year hits.

Also, this may or may not be the last blog post you see from me for a while. Tomorrow we're boarding a plane for upstate New York to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with The Boyfriend's family. We're also going to spend a few days hanging out with one of his former college roommates, The Tater. I foresee beer and pizza in my future.

My mission while I'm gone is to read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Otherwise known as The Book My Older Sister Has Been Nagging Me To Read For Years. She's finally worn me down, which is the only reason I can come up with for reading a 945 page novel. That's right, 945 pages. Needless to say my being "gentle" on book spines anal retentiveness is indefinitely on hold. I plan on beating the crap out of this book's spine. I won't be able to read it otherwise. 945 pages. Geez. Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes me to finish it?

We will have The Boyfriend's laptop, with it's wireless connection, with us for this trip, but we'll see how reception is. We're literally going to be out in the middle of nowhere. Assuming all systems are go, I hope to keep up with my blog rounds and maybe make a few posts of my own. If not, well you'll hear from me on the 24th. But lordy I hope the wireless will be in good working order because no Internet would probably mean the DTs.

10 comments:

Jennie said...

Wendy, where did you get the adorable dancing chick?! I need to steel him.

And have a nice trip. ;)

Wendy said...

Jennie: Isn't he the cutest? I have a Photobucket account for image hosting and I stole him from someone over there.

~ames~ said...

I love that dancing chick!!

And hope you have fun on your trip and reading that brick. :P

Rosie said...

Have fun. Easy on the beer and pizza. See ya when you return from the great beyond.

Kristie (J) said...

I love the little chick. And I feel your pain in starting a 945 page book!!! Wowzers that's a big one! Have fun while you're gone and enjoy that pizza and beer

Wendy said...

Kristie:
I'm going to need to devote a blog post about my Large Book Paranoia. Anything over 450 pages tends to make my palms sweat.

Ames:
I've taken to calling Lonesome Dove "The Brick." LOL Thanks for the suggestion.

Rosie:
We'll have to see if we can hook up in December. Assuming both of us aren't going nuts with holiday plans. I just found out on Friday that I'll have to attend a holiday party for The Boyfriend's work....

Kristie (J) said...

LOL - I'm the same way over big books. That's one thing that's kept me from reading the rest of Galbadon's books - they're just so darn big! My sister on the other hand picks up books based on large size - the bigger the better.

Louise said...

Long-time lurker here, but I had to come out of hiding to add my 2 cents about Lonesome Dove, one of the best books I've ever read. Despite its daunting size, I found that I did not want it to end. It has to be more than 20 years since I first read it, and it has stayed with me. When you finish reading, check out the miniseries starring Robert Duval & Tommy Lee Jones - a rare movie that remains very faithful to the book.

back to lurk-land ....

Shannon C. said...

Good luck with the book. Someone recced Lonesome Dove to me the other day as well, so this is timely. And while I love me some doorstopper epic fantasy, I'm not sure that love extends to a doorstopper western, so I'll anxiously await your review.

Also, have fun in upstate NY. I lived there for three months, in spring and early summer, and even then I thought it was way too cold, and I'm a Midwest girl, so you'd think I wouldn't mind.

Wendy said...

Louise: I plan on checking out the mini-series after I finish the book. Assuming I ever finish the book.

Shannon: Yep, it's cold. But they've had a late fall this year, and the colors are still out. It's been beautiful!