Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Better Than Nothing

Yesterday I attended a Publisher's Showcase near Los Angeles. I still wish I had the funds this year to attend RWA - but this sort of made up for it.

Basically it was very much in the style of a book talk. The representatives got up in front of their PowerPoint presentations and talked about upcoming titles. HarperCollins, Little Brown/Warner, Tor and Harlequin were there. I think the HC presentation was my favorite, although Warner has a lot of bestsellers in their stable, so it was nice to catch the hot fall books that I hadn't heard about yet.

I was very disappointed in the Harlequin presentation - the one I was looking forward to the most! Frankly, I could have done a better job and I don't work for the company! I suspect the problem is that Harlequin just has no clue how to market to libraries. The company was essentially built around retail and direct-to-consumer sales - and the library market is very different. Still - talk to some librarians people. You have several authors over there that used to be librarians or still are. It's not like you have to look to far.

I have a bag of free ARCs (mostly non-fiction/straight fiction stuff) and tons of handouts. Next week I'll begin poring over those and try to highlight interesting looking titles in the blog. Y'all will just have to be patient. I also promise to blog about All U Can Eat by Emma Holly sometime this weekend. In a nutshell though, loved it!

3 comments:

shayera said...

Thanks for the update Wendy. I was thinking of you yesterday while I was slaving away at work. ;-)
Free books, though!

Kelly said...

Count me in as someone else who wishes that they could have gone to RWA this year. Maybe next year though.

Evanne Lorraine said...

Free books,inside scoop on the hot new books for fall - great and an Emma Holly review - see I knew I bookmarked your blog for a good reason.