Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Tuesday, October 5, 2004

I started out life as a mystery reader - and up until romance novels grabbed me by the throat in 1999 that's pretty much all I read.



However these days I'm woefully behind in my mystery reading. To try to make up some ground, I try to keep up with various authors via audio books. That is how I discovered Tess Gerritsen - and I devoured the first 3 books in her Jane Rizzoli/Maura Isles series on CD. So when Body Double was released, I snapped it up in hard cover and started reading.



This time out the focus is more on Dr. Maura Isles. She returns from a conference overseas to find her long-lost twin sister shot to death in her car waiting outside Maura's home. Maura was adopted and knows nothing of her biological family - so discovering she had a twin proves to be quite a shock. As she uncovers her past, she ends up uncovering a whole mess of skeletons - literally.



What I love about Gerritsen's books is that she starts them off with a seemingly unrelated episode that is no way connected to the rest of the book - or is it? How does a deaf teenager getting buried alive tie in with the death of Dr. Isles' long lost twin? And how about that poor woman who spends the whole book buried alive? Where does she factor in?



I also like that Gerritsen writes dark and gory, but there is never a depressing cloud hanging over the character's heads. Their personal lives tend to be messy, but they never wallow. I also like out the author ties everything up at the end - and Body Double even features a happy ending of sorts.



I cannot recommend her books more. Now all I have to do is dig around for the rest of her backlist.....

No comments: