Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

College Girl, RT and Baseball

It's been a week since I've blogged something (anything) - and since my reading has ground to a halt thanks to the previous week's shenanigans, y'all get an update post.  So what's going on at the Casa de Bat Cave?  Well....

In a previous post I mentioned that I was tapped to do this "leadership class thingie" for work.  Well, that's started.  What I've learned so far?  There's no way in heck I could be a "non-traditional student."  You know, those folks who go back to school in their 30s, 40s, 50s etc.  I was very traditional.  College right out of high school, four years to my bachelor's degree, straight to grad school, full time for three semesters to my graduate degree.  Done.  With no desire to ever, ever go back.  Ever.  This small taste of "back to school" has me wondering how the heck I ever did this the first go around.  My current theory is ignorance (I didn't know anything else at the time) and alcohol (self-explanatory).  So if you're a non-traditional student reading this post?  My hat's off to you.  Because there's no way I could do it - and I don't have children to wrangle.

+++++

Registration for the RT Booklovers Convention (in Las Vegas) opened this week and yours truly will be there.  For my first RT ever.  Why now?  Vegas is close for me (I can drive - huzzah!) and I'm going to be on a panel (definitely one, possibly two, but jury is still out).  The definite panel has to do with "voice" in blogging, reviewing and advocating for the genre.  So if you want to experience the Bat Cave live and in person (and really, how could you not?) - be sure to look for me at RT. 

I have no clue yet day or time of my panel(s) - but more information will be forthcoming as soon as I have it.

+++++

Baseball.  My Tigers have been dismal this year.  Last place in our division dismal.  Our General Manager got "let go" and fled to Boston (boo! hiss!).  Miguel Cabrera got hurt.  Justin Verlander forgot how to pitch until recently.  Ian Kinsler has been - well, I don't even know what's going on with him.  One day he looks great, the next he looks like a guy who found out his wife is cheating on him with his best friend.  Jose Iglesias and James McCann got into a fight in the dugout - on camera.  Bruce Rondon (for the record, a relief pitcher I have loathed from day one) got sent home for the season due to "lack of effort."  Yeah, it's just been bad.  But hey, doesn't mean I still don't want to talk about baseball.

Word came out today that despite rumors to the contrary that Brad Ausmus will be back as the manager for 2016.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  While our terrible, awful year isn't entirely Brad's fault, the Tigers have shown over the years that they just play better under managers who are cranky, old, and smoke like chimneys.  Leyland (with his Marlboros).  Sparky (with his pipe).  I'm not sure Detroit can handle managers who are as hunky and dreamy as Brad.  Sigh.  So hunky.  So dreamy.  For God's sake - the man surfs.  SURFS!!!  Now figure out what do with this nightmare of a team Brad and we'll be gold.

When Dave Dombrowski was "let go" - Al Avila was promoted to General Manager.  Fans of the Bat Cave's Tigers Meet Harlequin posts will know that Al is (now back-up) catcher Alex Avila's Daddy.  He also looks like Tony Soprano's cousin.  I mean, look at him.  If that doesn't scream "I work in waste management" I'm not sure what does.  If I was an under-performing player I'd sleep with one eye open.  Otherwise you might wake up next to a severed horse's head.  Just sayin'.

Could future Tigers Meet Harlequin stories be in the future for these two potential heroes?  Brad's dreamy and Al looks likes a villain (which in certain corners of the genre these days = prime hero material) - so don't count them out. 

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I work at a University as a quasi faculty member, and it gets more and more shading to me each year that I managed to sit through it.

Barb in Maryland said...

Wendy
I went to grad school to get my MLS at age 40. Took me 18 months, inc summer sessions, because of kid and husband. How I did it, I do not know. (and then I couldn't get a library job and ended up in book retail--but that's a whole 'nother story)
Oh baseball!--too depressing (I'm an Orioles' fan) and then Yogi Berra died and I'm even more depressed. So, I feel your baseball pain. Added to that, I live 30 miles from Washington, DC--so I get bleed-over from the Nationals' pain. Sigh...

Anna Richland said...

Mariners fan here, including a son who is obsessed with the team. Like, memorizing the promo scheduling and near tears because we didn't go to backpack night but did go to American Girl doll at the Mariners night level of obsessed.

All I can say is: at least your Tigers didn't pick up Fernando Rodney. (Thank you Cubs, thank you.) Look at the positive.

(And by the way, our family met Rockies pitcher David Hale and he's a perfect hero for one of your stories, although I don't know how you'll work that since he's not with the Tigers, but perfect.)

I might have mentioned at RWA that I'm writing the sequel to His Road Home and Rey Cruz goes back to school at age 30. If you have any good stories of the complete disconnect between nontraditional students and college kids, I'd love to read them! And my 45-year old self is going to go sit at the University of Washington "Hub" to try to write and absorb the atmosphere.(fingers crossed my head doesn't burst).

Wendy said...

Erin: That's where I'm at. Honestly, I have no clue how I sat through all those classes and absorbed the information well enough to actually....oh, pass and get my degrees.

Barb: I don't know how you did it either?! Getting my degree, going full-time, working part-time was hard enough - and I didn't have a husband and kid(s) to worry about.

Anna: Ha ha ha ha! We used to have Rodney! Several years ago now. It was very much a love/hate relationship for me (mostly hate) - so I know of what you speak.

The class I am in is specifically designed for working professionals - people already established in their careers - so I'll be no help on the research front I'm afraid. The entire class if designed and filled with non-traditional :)

Kelly Campbell said...



As a fellow Tigers fan, to say it has been a dismal season is a gross understatement. But, at least Brad is some very nice eye candy to enjoy.

Thankfully, for me, the only REAL sport that never fails to deliver, at least here in "Detroit", hockey, starts in about 10 days. Yea! ;-)


Unknown said...

I don't think I could go back to school at my age (42) either! My hubby is taking one class a semester and ruining the curve for the young 'uns :) one kid in his last class said, "come on old man, give us a break with the curve, you are only taking one class and I have 4!" My hubby, using his best dry humor voice said, "and I work full time, including overtime and have a wife and 2 kids" the kid laughed and tipped his hat. LOL

I also feel your baseball pain. My Brewers are not quite in last place in their division-but close. Our manager barely started the season before being fired. Sigh.

Kate said...

I went back to school and got my MLIS at age 36 to make a career change and loved it, though the career change sadly did not happen (every library & archive job vanished by the time I graduated in 2007). I really like being in school, though.

I definitely would not like to meet Al Avila in a dark alley **shudder**.

Wendy said...

Kelly: My Man has been DVR'ing preseason hockey. Because, you know, the regular hockey season is apparently not long enough ;)

Tracy: My older sister went back to school post-marriage, post-two kids and man - no clue how she (or anyone for that matter) does it. I'm a big enough person to admit that I don't think I could!

Kate: Same thing happened to paranormal author Thea Harrison. Finished her MLS and then the economy tanked. She went on to sell Dragon Bound though - so it worked out OK for her.

We're finally starting to see more jobs open up in the field. Speaking from my own experience, both employers I've worked for in past 10 years had lengthy hiring freezes on. Those have, thankfully, now lifted and library jobs are getting much more plentiful on the ground.

nath said...

Woohoo on you going to RT, Wendy!! It's always good when you can drive to an event :)

I thought of it, but Vegas... It's going to be ccccc-crazy!!

I've been thinking of going back to school, but it scares me. I can barely pay attention or stay awake at all the talks and seminars. Can't see myself going back :( and I know the longer I wait, the harder it'll be :(

Blue Jays needs to win one and they are in!!

Wendy said...

Nath: Honestly I cannot believe it's taken RT this long to land in Vegas. It seems perfect, doesn't it?

And the Blue Jays have since clinched their division! Now it's on to see if they can get home field advantage throughout...

PK the Bookeemonster said...

I got two Masters via online in my early 40s. Then the recession hit and I can't get a job with them, got drafted into my husband's family biz, and now when I wanted to pursue a side-career dream thing -- and I just didn't have the energy anymore or the drive. I was disappointed but also relieved when I dropped it.

I'm heading to Bouchercon in Raleigh next week. The last time I was at the con was 5 years ago in San Fran. This is my vacation gift to myself. Next year is New Orleans, already signed and sealed on that one. :)

I'm back into football season. It has always been tough being a Dallas fan and now with Romo out for weeks? Uff da. And I'm a Steeler fan by marriage ... Big Ben out for weeks now. It's going to be a tough season in our house.