Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

The City So Nice, They Named It Twice

Hello from New York City!  Rosie and I made it to the Big Apple relatively unscathed.  She forgot her Kindle (OMG!!!!) and My Man got himself in a car accident on his way back home after dropping me off at the airport.  The good news is that Rosie has something else to read, and My Man escaped the accident unharmed.  His car?  Uh, another story entirely.  But needless to say I spent most of yesterday worried out of my mind about him.

After all that excitement, I was greeted at JFK by my limo driver.  Yes, limo driver.  Apparently being Librarian of the Year makes me pretty hot stuff!  It also means that I got my flippin' registration bag EARLY!  It was waiting for me upon check-in.  Behold!  That little blue flip dealie is actually book light, and I'm guessing the weird Harlequin pouch is some sort of eco-friendly water bottle?  But yeah, that's the swag.  In other news, the conference tote is very nice, as are the name badge holders.

After I got checked-in, Rosie and I met for a quick bite to eat and drink downstairs.  There we ran into Magdalen and SarahT (who had just arrived from Switzerland and boy was she jet-lagged!).  We had a nice nosh, a few drinks and lovely conversation.  Always good to chat with fellow bloggers and romance addicts.

When I got back upstairs, what did my little eyes spy?  Another goodie for being Queen Librarian of the Universe!  This lovely bottle of wine.  Which I couldn't drink because I'd already had my limit.  So I saved it for tonight, and I'm enjoying it now while typing this blog post.

Today was my one totally free day, so I was able to catch-up with my former college roommate, who lives in Queens, and who I haven't seen in 10+ years!  Patty was totally up for doing "tourist-y" stuff, so we made the trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.  We only did a few little parts of Ellis Island, because holy cow, my legs were jello by that point - but it was still a really great day.  Oh, and the tourists!  I told My Man, I know we live in California.  I mean, it's not like we live in White Bread, U.S.A. - but the international flavor of this city is really a trip.  I heard more languages spoken today then I think I have in my whole life.

After a nice healthy dinner of pizza and cheesecake, I'm back in my hotel room - soaking up the outrageously priced wifi and chillin' with my wine, Rosie, Nath, and Nathie's sister.  On tap for tomorrow?  Not sure yet.  I suspect Rosie and I might end up in Central Park, and then it's the first Blogger Bar Bash in the evening.  I'm going to do my best to blog every single day - and hopefully I won't do my usual RWA madness, which is blogging at 2AM (seriously, I've done that more than I care to admit).  I also plan on taking more pictures.  These are just a small sampling.  Want to see more?  Keep an eye on the special album I created on my Flickr account.

11 comments:

Buriedbybooks said...

Queen Librarian of the Universe... You are that! 'bout time everyone else knew it, too. I hope you take some pictures of the genuflection you receive while there ;)

I'm officially pea green jealous that I'm not going to RWA. Maybe next year.

Unknown said...

jealous! Have a great week!

Lusty Reader said...

fancy schmancy limo & vino! what a great way to kick off your #RWA11 experience! and even though rosie forgot her kindle i *seriously* doubt she'll lack for anything to read on this trip ;) cant wait to see y'all on Tuesday!

Cheeky Girl said...

Thanks for sharing and congrats once again on your award! Can't wait to see what else you get into. :)

Jami Davenport said...

What fun you're having! I love the pictures of the Statue of Liberty trip. And a limo, how cool.

Susanna Carr said...

Queen Librarian of the Universe should be on your name tag! :)

Leslie said...

Excellent start to your trip (except for your man & the accident).

Thanks for setting up the Flickr album. I look forward to seeing all the pics!

Debbie S said...

Gee some people get to have all the fun.New York is super cool so many things to see.You get to meet and see so many good bloggers and authors lucky you.See being a queen does have a great side now where is your sparkly crown.

Kathryn said...

Now see, this is how all librarians should be treated. I've been volunteering at our library - it seemed only fair after being treated like royalty by every librarian there even when they were facing so many budget cuts. Since they can't all be there with you, I'm glad you're on the high side of taking one for the team!

JamiSings said...

I'm such a dork, I totally forgot you're in New York and sent you an e-mail to your work address!

Somedays I can be such a stereotypical blonde. LOL

Wish I was there. Though I'd come home with double my weight in books and quadruple my credit card debt. LOL

Christine said...

So sorry to hear about your Man's accident--ugh! But thank goodness he's okay.

This sounds like an amazingly jam packed start to your week in NYC. Visiting the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island is one of my favorite places to bring friends and family when they come visit this area.

Have a great day today! Hope to see you tonight. :)