Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The 2nd Annual RWA Blogger Bar Bash!

Where?: The Atrium Lounge at the New York Marriott Marquis (the conference hotel)

When?:  It's so nice, we're doing it twice!  For you early arrivals, Monday June 27 @ 7PM to uh, whenever.  A repeat performance will happen Tuesday June 28 after the Literacy Signing to uh, whenever.

Who?:  The only reason I call this the Blogger Bar Bash is because I'm a sucker for alliteration.  Anyone is welcome to attend.  Readers, Bloggers, Published Authors, Not-Yet Published Authors, Editors, Agents, Fabio, Cowboys, Sheikhs, Virginal Secretaries, Navy SEALS, Werewolves, Vampires (but keep those fangs to yourselves!), Sailors on shore leave etc. etc. etc.  If you're not registered for the conference and only attending the Literacy Signing?  Hey, stop on by!  No conference registration required for these wing-dings.


Why Then?:  If this is your first time attending RWA, you won't understand this yet - but the later in the week it gets, the more brain-dead you'll become.  Trust me, it's just going to happen.  We'll have two gatherings to snag as many people as possible.  The Literacy Signing tends to "signal" the official start of the conference, and as the week wears on dance cards start filling up with other commitments. 

Why A Bar?:  Because I'm a lush.  There, I said it.  Actually, the reason is that I'm a terrible planner and hostess.  I like "low key."  No need to plan, no snacks to buy, no booze to stock up on.  Plus, a bar pretty much has everything.  Munchies if you want them.  Booze if you need want it.  Non-alcoholic offerings if you're a teetotaler.  There should be something for everyone.

Lastly: This is a relaxed affair.  If you can only stop by for a few minutes?  That's fine!  If you want to hang out for a couple of hours?  That's fine too!  I know how busy some folks are during this week, so feel free to come and go as you please, as other commitments/appointments/invitations come up.  No pressure, only fun!  A chance to connect some names with faces prior to all the hoopla getting underway.  I hope to see a bunch of you there!

(Please feel free to tweet this, post it on your blog etc.  Let's get the word out!)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whee!!! Dunno when I'm arriving Monday, but Tuesday is my birthday, so I plan on living in the bar ;)
...
Esp since I'm just gonna be in the city visiting, so no panels/professionalism for me :X

Darcy Drake said...

Adding it to my RWA11 schedule! Hopefully I'll get to stop by. =D

Pearl said...

I am soooo there! Both days providing my flight on Monday arrives on schedule and/or without too much delay ;)

KT Grant said...

I can do Tuesday to lush it up!

nath said...

I'm definitively going to be there on Tuesday :) As for Monday, I guess it'll depend on my plans... Might go to a Jimmy Fallon taping.

Hilcia said...

I can't make it to the conference (work!), but I'll be there Tuesday evening for the Literacy Signing and will see you all at the Blogger Bash. Thanks for the post. :D

Lil Sis said...

I was going to come but then I noticed in your "who's welcome" you included Fabio. Sigh. Sorry - that is inexcusable. :)

Kim in Baltimore said...

Aloha, Wendy! Thanks for scheduling it Monday and Tuesday (as Monday is Lady Jane's Salon).

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Kristie (J) said...

I shall be there both nights with rings on my fingers and bells on my toes!! I can hardly wait to see everyone again from before and meeting those I haven't yet :-)

Christine said...

Hi Wendy!
I just got wind of this through Hilcia's and nath's blogs. I live a hop, skip and jump across the river in NJ and am planning on coming to the Literacy signing. I would be thrilled to meet you and other bloggers at the bar after the signing!! What a great idea! I'm looking forward to it!!! :)

Christine said...

p.s. nath, even though it's free to go to Jimmy Fallon tapings, you still need tickets and I understand they "sell out" very quickly. You should look into it now.

Wendy said...

Weeeeeee, I hope you all can make it at least one of those times. I think it's nice to do these meet-ups early in the week, that way you'll see "familiar faces" while wandering around the conference later on :)

Lil' Sis: Of course Fabio is invited! I have to tell him that I can't believe it's not butter!

Anonymous said...

yahooooo im SO there, both nights! florida was just a smidge too far last year, after being spoiled by it being in my backyard in DC the year before, but anything in NYC and i am THERE!

putting my Girl Shopping Gene (mine is so huge maybe i stole some from you?) to use to prepare in advance and cant wait to see everyone!

Trinity Faegen said...

I'll be there Tuesday! I think I'm doing Lady Jane Monday. (Lucky, lucky, Lady Jane...)

Looking forward to seeing you!

Stef

Anonymous said...

I'm not attending the convention, but since I live in NYC I'll definitely stop by! Looking forward to seeing you again, Wendy! :)

Camryn Rhys said...

I will be there. Perhaps bell-less, but I'll work on it.

Kira Brady said...

Yay! I'll have my munchkin with me at the literacy signing on Tuesday, so I might have to wave from the doorway of the bar. It will be so nice to see everyone again! (We met at RWA 2008. ;) )