Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, December 2, 2013

Back From Thanksgiving Hiatus

Like a bad penny that keeps turning up, I'm back from my hiatus.  We spent Thanksgiving with the in-laws, which meant Wendy was out in the boonies with no cable TV, no computer, and if you don't have Verizon as your cell phone provider?  Yeah, you don't have a cell phone.  Plus, you know, I spent the week in freezing temperatures with about a foot of snow on the ground.  Let's just say what passes for cold around the Bat Cave seems downright tropical in comparison.  So, what happened while I was away?  Well, a few things.....

+++++

My latest list of "unusual historicals" went live over at Heroes & Heartbreakers.  November was an intriguing month.  Usually these lists feature a little bit of everything, but for November it was all America vs. Great Britain.  So while the settings may be familiar, there is a nice variety.  Everything from whisky runners to those upstart colonists! 

Head on over and check it out.

+++++

Warning: Spoilers for Season Four of Boardwalk Empire commencing in 3, 2, 1.....

Since I was away in the boonies with no cable TV - that meant I had to wait a whole week to watch the season finale of Boardwalk Empire.  We finally watched it last night and....

Sigh.

This was a pretty mediocre season for me.  I spent the whole season waffling between annoyance and disinterest in the Dr. Narcisse character and while I "get" he almost has to be included in a show that essentially plays around with real historical events/characters - ugh, J. Edgar Hoover.

And then there is Richard.  Poor, doomed Richard.  Yes, realistically I knew this guy wasn't destined for Fairy Tale Happy Land - but couldn't it have been a bit more epic and not quite so sad?  Like, you know, the season three finale when he shoots up the brothel?  Basically Richard rides off into the sunset because he 'effs up.

So much for a blaze of glory.

Oh well.  At least we still have yummy pictures of Jack Huston sans Richard's mask to keep us warm at night.

+++++

I got a lot of reading done while I was away, so expect several book reviews over the next few days.  You know, just as soon as I carve out some time to write them.  A nice mix of contemporary and historical romance and not a single dud in the bunch!  Yippee!

Stay tuned.

No comments: