Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Recap, Lemon Drop, And More On The Dreaded Slump

Today is April 1 - which normally means enduring a day of endless practical jokes and inane tomfoolery, but this year it means something different, at least around the Bat Cave.  Yes folks, it's here.  After leading up to it all last week, Opening Day for the Major League Baseball season is here.  Which means some of you will start reading my blog more, and some of you will start reading it less - depending on what side of the fence you fall on.

All last week I celebrated the coming of Opening Day by writing a series of Detroit Tigers Meets Harlequin Category Romance posts.  Wherein, I took five unsuspecting members of the current Tigers roster, and threw them into various category romance lines.  To relive the horror, blasphemy fun times, just follow the tag link of Tigers Meet Harlequin to read all the posts.

+++++

April 1 also marks Lemon Drop's birthday.  She is a wise and sage three-years-old today, is no doubt basking in the glow of Opening Day baseball (OK, maybe not) and plotting her next strategy towards world domination.  She'll be showing up here sometime soon to discuss my dismal reading last month, but for now let us commemorate her happy birthday with some cuteness.  Here she is with Aunt Wendy on the teacups at Disneyland.  Her mother cannot ride the teacups (spinnie rides + Lil' Sis = Not Happy Times), so it was up to "Brave Aunt Wendy."  I spent the whole time yelling like a dippity-do and she spent the whole time suffering from a severe case of the giggles.

+++++

Speaking of dismal reading, I am mired in the middle of a slump that just won't quit.  I hit a stretch of not-very-good books in February, and when that happens?  Yeah, I just stop reading.  Which would be why I got through a grand total of four books during the month of March.  However none of this has stopped me from hording books, requesting books over at Netgalley, what have you.  Which means I need to get off the pot and get reading.

Which should be a neat trick since, you know, Opening Day!!!!!

8 comments:

Phyl said...

Yay Opening Day! Seriously one of the best days of the year. And hey, it's even sunny here, if only 40 degrees. Spring hath arrived. Go Phils :)

Victoria Janssen said...

Maybe stop in and visit a different genre?

Hilcia said...

Happy Birthday to Lemon Drop! She's getting to be a big girl. :)

Opening Day! I can't wait for good ole baseball season to come around again. Go Yanks! ;P

Wendy, sorry I missed your great Baseball/Harlequin posts last week. I just read them and got a HUGE kick out of them. Thanks for the smile.

Wendy said...

Phyl: I recorded the game, and apparently it was a balmy 30-odd degrees in Minnesota today. Really MLB? You're allowing the Twins to host Opening Day when they no longer have the dome?

Victoria: And normally that would be just the ticket for me - but alas, my romance review obligations are daunting at the moment. I'm doing my best to mix it up though. I just finished a historical, and now I'm moving on to contemporary erotica (I'm keeping my fingers crossed - the first couple of chapters were very promising!).

Hils: She is a big girl - and her vocabulary seems to be growing by the day!

Nikki said...

Nothing could have made me happier today than that Bosox rout of the Yankees.

Leslie said...

Happy Birthday Lemon Drop! Such a cutie!

I'm happy baseball season has started but not for the same reason you are. I'm happy because it means spring training is over so I can get to the library w/o dealing with the traffic since it's across the street from the baseball field.

nath said...

Happy belated birthday to Lemon Drop!! Three?!? How did that happen?! LOL.

Awww Wendy, sorry to hear about your reading slump. Perhaps try to re-read a favorite of yours and then jump on to the next book?

Wendy said...

Nikki: My team is comforably sitting at .500 right now. I need to keep reminding myself that it's a looooooong season. World Series aren't won in April :)

Leslie: LOL!

Nath: I have no idea how it happened! I can't believe that kid is three already!

My slump is getting somewhat better. Finished a book and a short story today. If I can get my act together, I might get another short story done :)