Me: You know, not many women can pull off turbans. You and Joan Crawford maybe.....
Lemon Drop: Puhleeze, that beeyotch has got nothing on me!
Me: Well, that's true. And while I know you're not quite three, you're already more stable.
Lemon Drop: Yeah, dude - what was up with the wire hangers? My Mommy is a little nutty, but even she isn't that far gone.
Me: Change of subject time! Here's what I read last month kiddo. I was a reading machine! Solid in the quality department as well.
Sleigh Ride With The Rancher by Donna Alward - Harlequin Romance, 2012, Grade = B
- Heroine with childhood baggage and still grieving over friend's death visits scarred hero's ranch before Christmas as a favor to her grandmother. Running scared heroine, a hero who has suffered tragedy, lots of angst, textbook Alward.
- A boss-secretary romance featuring an emotionally wounded hero and a heroine who puts the fun in feisty.
- Three-story anthology featuring some of the offspring from the author's MacEgan Brothers series. Liked the first two stories, wanted to hit the hero in the third story....hard. With a sledge hammer.
- Second book in the author's series featuring a fictional American football team. Abrasive asshole hero with a heart of gold, and a heroine with a bumpy history when it comes to jocks.
- A goody-goody heroine but a hero with a questionable past and a good message made this a solid inspirational romance.
- Liked the writing, but wasn't sold on the idea that the hero and heroine were equals when 1) she uses her wiles in her "job" yet is somehow miraculously still a virgin and 2) she doesn't kill people. Also the twist regarding the heroine? Didn't buy it. At all.
- Forthcoming First Look post for Heroes & Heartbreakers. An interesting mix of cozy and gritty.
- Upcoming review for TGTBTU. Great heroine and a marriage of convenience plot.
- I'm normally not into fictional royalty or sheikh books - but hello? Beauty and the Beast! I can't say no to that.
- Married couple who make-up naughty stories for each other take a whirl at setting The Little Mermaid during WWII French Resistance. A quick read, although I did want a few more naughty shenanigans.
- Privileged girl destined to marry someone her father's age falls for the hunky gardener (OK, estate manager). A story that is a harder sell for me in a contemporary setting, but Walker writes great sex.
- Heroine thinks the hero hates her guts, but turns out our guy is just really, really repressed. Oh man, LOVED this story. Loved it so much I want to marry it and have its babies.....
- Repressed young woman fresh out of library school gets her dream job at NYPL and becomes a sub to a major library benefactor's Dom. Standard issue BDSM with an ending that pissed me off six ways from Sunday.
Lemon Drop: I am big! It's the blogs that got small!
Me: Oh brother.
Note: I would like to publicly apologize to anybody who had anything to do with Sunset Boulevard. Lemon Drop made me do it!