Monday, December 10, 2012

The Month That Was November 2012

Lemon Drop: All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.

Me: You know, not many women can pull off turbans.  You and Joan Crawford maybe.....

Lemon Drop: Puhleeze, that beeyotch has got nothing on me!

Me: Well, that's true.  And while I know you're not quite three, you're already more stable.

Lemon Drop: Yeah, dude - what was up with the wire hangers?  My Mommy is a little nutty, but even she isn't that far gone.

Me: Change of subject time!  Here's what I read last month kiddo.  I was a reading machine!  Solid in the quality department as well.

Sleigh Ride With The Rancher by Donna Alward - Harlequin Romance, 2012, Grade = B
  •  Heroine with childhood baggage and still grieving over friend's death visits scarred hero's ranch before Christmas as a favor to her grandmother.  Running scared heroine, a hero who has suffered tragedy, lots of angst, textbook Alward.
A Night Of No Return by Sarah Morgan - Harlequin Presents, 2012, Grade = B+
  • A boss-secretary romance featuring an emotionally wounded hero and a heroine who puts the fun in feisty.
Winter Warriors by Michelle Willingham - Harlequin Historical, 2012, Grade = B-
  • Three-story anthology featuring some of the offspring from the author's MacEgan Brothers series.  Liked the first two stories, wanted to hit the hero in the third story....hard.  With a sledge hammer.
Forward Passes by Jami Davenport - Contemporary romance ebook, 2012, Grade = B
  • Second book in the author's series featuring a fictional American football team.  Abrasive asshole hero with a heart of gold, and a heroine with a bumpy history when it comes to jocks.
Counterfeit Cowboy by Lacy Williams - Love Inspired Historical, 2012, Grade = C
  • A goody-goody heroine but a hero with a questionable past and a good message made this a solid inspirational romance.
The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne - Historical romance, 2008, Berkley, Grade = C
  • Liked the writing, but wasn't sold on the idea that the hero and heroine were equals when 1) she uses her wiles in her "job" yet is somehow miraculously still a virgin and 2) she doesn't kill people.  Also the twist regarding the heroine?  Didn't buy it.  At all.
Wyoming Bride by Joan Johnston - Historical Romance, 2013, Bantam Dell, Grade = C+
  • Forthcoming First Look post for Heroes & Heartbreakers.  An interesting mix of cozy and gritty.
Marrying The Enemy by Nicola Marsh - Harlequin Presents, 2012, Grade = B
  • Upcoming review for TGTBTU. Great heroine and a marriage of convenience plot.
Hajar's Hidden Legacy by Maisey Yates - Harlequin Presents, 2012, Grade = B
  • I'm normally not into fictional royalty or sheikh books - but hello?  Beauty and the Beast!  I can't say no to that.
The Mermaid's Tale by Grace D'Otare - Erotic romance short story ebook, 2012, Self-Pub, Grade = B-
  • Married couple who make-up naughty stories for each other take a whirl at setting The Little Mermaid during WWII French Resistance.  A quick read, although I did want a few more naughty shenanigans.
Forbidden by Saskia Walker - Erotic romance short story ebook, 2011, Walk On The Wild Side Books, Grade = C
  • Privileged girl destined to marry someone her father's age falls for the hunky gardener (OK, estate manager).  A story that is a harder sell for me in a contemporary setting, but Walker writes great sex.
Restraint by Charlotte Stein - Erotic-kinda-romance short story ebook, 2012, Xcite, Grade = A
  • Heroine thinks the hero hates her guts, but turns out our guy is just really, really repressed.  Oh man, LOVED this story.  Loved it so much I want to marry it and have its babies.....
The Librarian by Logan Belle - Erotic romance ebook, 2012, Pocket, Grade = D
  • Repressed young woman fresh out of library school gets her dream job at NYPL and becomes a sub to a major library benefactor's Dom.  Standard issue BDSM with an ending that pissed me off six ways from Sunday.
Me: Hmmm, I think you might be a little young for the turban look kiddo.  I mean, it's the sort of look that belongs on Grand Dames Of A Certain Age.  I'm not sure a three-year-old qualifies, even if you are a pretty awesome three-year-old.

Lemon Drop: I am big!  It's the blogs that got small!

Me: Oh brother.

Note: I would like to publicly apologize to anybody who had anything to do with Sunset Boulevard.  Lemon Drop made me do it!


Sheri said...

Hmmmm...not sure Ceci is more stable than Joan, I mean she can throw a MEAN tantrum - diva style! :)

--Lil Sis

nath said...

LOL, when I first read in a historical romance about the turban look, I wondered if I didn't read it wrong!! But nope, I didn't. But yeah, Lemon Drop sure rocks it!

A pretty good reading month you had there, Wendy. Both in quantity and quality-wise, except for that D there. By the way, I read A Night of No Return based on your and Brie's recommendation :)

Wendy said...

Lil Sis: Well if you're going to throw a tantrum, there's no sense in half-assing it! Diva style ALL THE WAY!

Nath: It really helped that I had four days off over the US Thanksgiving holiday. I got a TON of reading done. I hope you enjoyed A Night Of No Return. If you didn't, I can share the blame with Brie :)

willaful said...

Hehe... Lemon Drop cracks me up!

Ruth (CO) said...

Love Lemondrop...her smile is contagious.

What is your favorite Christmas read?

Regards, Ruth (CO)

Wendy said...

Willaful: I know she cracks her Momma up....when she's being a "good girl." Last time I talked to my sister she sounded like a typical mother of a 2.5 year old. I'm not sure how she was managing to stay sober...

Ruth: You know what? I'm going to do a blog post about that! I think I've got enough titles to round out a decent list. I should get something up this week.....