Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Month That Was April 2012

 Lemon Drop: I like sitting on your lap Auntie Wendy, you're all soft and squishy.

Me: Wow.  Thanks kid.  Way to boost the ol' ego there.  I've turned over a new leaf though, so hopefully the next time you see me some of these squishy bits will have firmed up.

Lemon Drop: Or, you know, you could stop hitting the chocolate so hard....

Me: Do you want Auntie Wendy to end up in jail?


Lemon Drop: Well, no.  I don't think you can buy me new books from a jail cell.  Speaking of books, what did you read last month?

Me: I did OK.  Only six books, but pretty solid quality-wise.

Title links will take you to full reviews.

Diamond Dreams by Zuri Day - Contemporary romance, Harlequin/Kimani, 2012 - Grade = C-
  •  Pampered daughter of a glitzy wine-making family meets her match in self-made man from the wrong side of the tracks.  Some interesting elements here, and I liked the glam setting.  However the suspense sub plot and some lumping writing, especially during love scenes, didn't work for me.  Harlequin Cheat Sheet: Heroine Done Wrong, One Slimy Ex, Former Gang-Bangin' Hero, Mommy Doesn't Love Me, Family Dynasty, Two Over-Protective Sequel-Baitin' Brothers.
We'll Always Have Paris by Jessica Hart - Contemporary romance, Harlequin Romance, 2012 - Grade = A
  •  My absolute favorite read of the month.  Opposites attract when a bubbly fun-loving production assistant goes after a stuffed-shirt, button-up'ed hero for her company's latest documentary.  Harlequin Cheat Sheet: Free Spirit Heroine, All Business Hero, Hero Done Wrong, Road Romance.
The Edge of Night by Jill Sorenson - Romantic suspense, Bantam Dell, 2011 - Grade = B
  •  My TBR Challenge read of the month. Loved the gritty SoCal setting, and that the author didn't shy away from her depiction of gangs, drugs and crime.  Solid suspense delivered along with a steamy romance.  Glad I have more books by this author in my TBR!
Dancing At The Chance by DeAnna Cameron - Romantic historical fiction, Berkley, 2012 - Grade = B-
  •  Historical fiction with a very strong romance element.  Vaudeville dancer heroine pins her hopes on the fact that the theater owner's son is back in town.  Surely he's come back for her, and to save the struggling theater.
Always In My Heart by Kayla Perrin - Contemporary romance, Harlequin/Kimani, 2012 - Grade = D
  •  My bad for not reading the back cover description before picking up this book.  The secret baby plot pretty much insured that I was going to loathe the heroine with every fiber of my being.  Perrin can write though.  Review is forthcoming at TGTBTUHarlequin Cheat Sheet: Single Mom, Cop Hero, Secret Baby, One Kidlet, Two Sequel-Baitin' Sisters
Lady Drusilla's Road To Ruin by Christine Merrill - Historical romance, Harlequin Historical, 2012 - Grade = B-
  • A frothy confection set in Regency England.  Older sister is on the way to Gretna Green to stop feather-brained younger sister from eloping with her smarmy dance instructor.  Along the way she meets a love-sick Mister who agrees to help her reach her destination.  Review is forthcoming at TGTBTUHarlequin Cheat Sheet: One Duty Bound Older Sister, One Brain Dead Younger Sister, One Reaching Above His Station Hero, One Cold-Fish Father
Me: So, do you like the books I got you?

Lemon Drop: Mommy likes Bears In The Night because of its excellent use of prepositional phrases.  Whatever the heck that means!  I like it because I've finally figured out ways I can sneak out of my bedroom.  This is, like, the best How-To book ever!  Thanks Auntie Wendy!

Me: ::headdesk::

5 comments:

*Goddess* said...

Huh. I notice Lemon Drop never brags about her "Niece of the Year!" award.

Such a humble child;)

Phyl said...

I'm reading We'll Always Have Paris now. Very enjoyable. Thanks for the earlier rec. And I keep meaning to read more Jill Sorenson. I'm sure I have at least one of her books around here somewhere...

nath said...

I'm glad that quality-wise, April was a good month for you, Wendy! :) An A-read, yay! It offsets the D :)

Wendy said...

Goddess: She knows she's fierce - so there's no need to brag ;)

Phyl: I need to try one of Sorenson's categories soon, and I still need to buy her latest single title. I'm so behind in my book shopping!

Nath: Yeah, the D read was epic - and not in a good way. But I adored the Jessica Hart, and every time I have an "A" read, it just makes the world a sunnier place :)

Tracy said...

Oh that Jessica Hart sounds good, thanks.

Lemon Drop is adorable. So Cute!