You know just in case you hadn't heard about the news (I'm thinking of putting it on my business cards right under Wendy The Super Librarian, Supah Genius).
Ahem, anywho, before we dissect the nominations, a couple of things. First, here are the official rules. And second, the most important thing to remember is that authors must submit their books (and pay a contest fee) in order to be eligible. So author no submit? Yeah, no chance in hell they'll be on this list. I also see a lot of chatter (typically) from readers online that they haven't heard of half the nominated books. Well, that's where I'm here to help. So away we go.....
Best First Book:
The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells (YA)
Firestorm by Kelly Ann Riley (inspirational suspense)
Enemy Within by Marcella Burnard (science fiction romance)
I Now Pronounce You Someone Else by Erin McCahan (YA)
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (YA)
Pieces of Sky by Kaki Warner (historical romance)
Wanna Get Lucky? by Deborah Coonts (chick lit/mystery)
A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer (inspirational historical)
When Harry Met Molly by Kieran Kramer (historical romance)
- I've read Pieces of Sky, which I liked but was mildly disappointed in because I wanted to lurve it and have babies with it. I chalk this insanity up to Neglected Romance Sub Genre Guilt. Still, it was a good solid read, and this debut western got a B- from yours truly. And wow, three YAs? Really?
Dare She Date the Dreamy Doc? by Sarah Morgan (Mills & Boon Medical Romance)
Breaking the Sheikh's Rules in the Summer Sheikhs anthology by Abby Green (Mills & Boon)
Christmas Magic on the Mountain by Melissa McClone (Harlequin Romance)
Christmas with Her Boss by Marion Lennox (Harlequin Romance)
Red-Hot Renegade by Kelly Hunter (Mills & Boon Modern Heat)
An Unexpected Father by Lisa Ruff (Harlequin American Romance)
Welcome Home, Cowboy by Karen Templeton (Silhouette Special Edition)
Zoe and the Tormented Tycoon by Kate Hewitt (Harlequin Presents)
- Sigh. The McClone, Lennox and Templeton are all in my digital TBR. I suck.
The Moon That Night by Helen Brenna (Harlequin Superromance)
The Baby's Guardian by Delores Fossen (Harlequin Intrigue)
Case File: Canyon Creek, Wyoming by Paula Graves (Harlequin Intrigue)
To Catch a Killer by Kimberly Van Meter (Silhouette Romantic Suspense)
A Cop in Her Stocking by Ann Voss Peterson (Harlequin Intrigue)
Meltdown by Gail Barrett (Silhouette Romantic Suspense)
Perfect Partners? by C.J. Carmichael (Harlequin Superromance)
Renegade Angel by Kendra Leigh Castle (Harlequin Nocturne)
- The Brenna is in the digital TBR. Other than that? I got nothing. Although I find it really interesting there's a Nocturne in this category.
One Fine Cowboy by Joanne Kennedy
Happy Ever After by Nora Roberts
And One Last Thing by Molly Harper
Lead Me On by Victoria Dahl
Not That Kind of Girl by Susan Donovan
Nothing But Trouble by Rachel Gibson
Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis
Still the One by Robin Wells
- More vast sea of nothingness. I just don't gravitate towards single title contemporaries. Yes, I'm aware this makes me "part of the problem" Save The Contemporary fans. It's just I choose to "save the contemporary" via category romance, uh where it doesn't really need much saving.
Countess of Scandal by Laurel McKee
Last Night's Scandal by Loretta Chase
The Forbidden Rose by Joanna Bourne
His at Night by Sherry Thomas
A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James
A Little Bit Wild by Victoria Dahl
One Wicked Sin by Nicola Cornick
Open Country by Kaki Warner
- The Thomas, McKee and Warner are in the TBR. I still need to buy that Cornick trilogy, as well as the Bourne.
A Convenient Wife by Anna Schmidt
Doctor in Petticoats by Mary Connealy
Whisper on the Wind by Maureen Lang
Finding Her Way Home by Linda Goodnight
The Wedding Garden by Linda Goodnight
In Harm's Way by Irene Hannon
Maid to Match by Deeanne Gist
Shades of Morning by Marlo M. Schalesky
Within My Heart by Tamera Alexander
- I read the Gist and thought it was quite lovely. Gave it a B.
The Search by Nora Roberts
Stormwalker by Allyson James
Killbox by Ann Aguirre
Blood Vines by Erica Spindler
Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn
On Folly Beach by Karen White
Wanna Get Lucky? by Deborah Coonts
Welcome to Harmony by Jodi Thomas
- I listened to The Search on audio, and while I liked it, I OD'ed on all the "dog stuff." But then, I'm not a huge dog person, so there you go. We got an ARC of the Raybourn in at work, and I saved it for myself, but yeah. Haven't read it.
Rebel by Zoe Archer
Sins of the Heart by Eve Silver
Enemy Within by Marcella Burnard
A Highlander's Homecoming by Melissa Mayhue
Marked by the Moon by Lori Handeland
Water Bound by Christine Feehan
Immortal Sea by Virginia Kantra
Unchained: the Dark Forgotten by Sharon Ashwood
- Mileage varies on this if you read all the online chatter, but Rebel was actually my favorite out of that Zoe Archer series. Other than that? I got nothing. Paranormal burn out folks.
His Christmas Pleasure by Cathy Maxwell
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean
Provocative in Pearls by Madeline Hunter
To Surrender to a Rogue by Cara Elliott
When Harry Met Molly by Kieran Kramer
Twice Tempted by a Rogue by Tessa Dare
The Mischief of the Mistletoe by Lauren Willig
The Wicked Wyckerly by Patricia Rice
- The Dare is in the TBR. That's it.
"A Dundee Christmas" by Brenda Novak in That Christmas Feeling (Harlequin Superromance)
"Friendly Fire" by Jill Shalvis in Born on the 4th of July (Harlequin Blaze)
"Blame It on the Blizard" by Jennifer Greene in Baby, It's Cold Outside (Harlequin)
"Love Me to Death" by Maggie Shayne in Heart of Darkness (HQN Books)
"Mistletoe Magic" by Sandra Hyatt in Under the Millionaire's Mistletoe (Silhouette Desire)
"The Wrong Brother" by Maureen Child in Under the Millionaire's Mistletoe (Silhouette Desire)
"Mountain Rose" by Cheryl St. John in To Be a Mother (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Historical)
"Shifting Sea" by Virginia Kantra in Burning Up
- Dude, Harlequin owns this category. The Novak and St. John anthologies are in the TBR.
Indulgence in Death by J.D. Robb
Love Me to Death by Allison Brennan
The Darkest Hour by Maya Banks
Deadly Fear by Cynthia Eden
Edge of Sight by Roxanne St. Claire
Silent Scream by Karen Rose
Kill Me Again by Maggie Shayne
Two Lethal Lies by Annie Solomon
- I think I have the Karen Rose in the TBR. Other than that? Yeah, nothing.
Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder
The Clearing by Heather Davis
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
I Now Pronounce You Someone Else by Erin McCahan
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles
The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells
- I am shocked by how many of these I've actually heard of. I don't buy YA for work (not "my job") so I tend to be fairly clueless when it comes to these nominees. That said, I've heard of the Clare, McCahan, Kagawa, Elkeles and the Howells.