Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Live From D.C. It's Jerry Springer!

We had some excitement here in our hotel last night after I signed off from blogging. As you all know from my last post, I was up until 2AM. Well so were Barbara and Kristie, because we couldn't seem to stop yakking about books. Anywho, we're chatting when all the sudden we hear someone pounding on a door down the hall. Then this woman starts screaming, in a very uppity tone saying things like, "Bitch, you better let me in there. I'm going to kick your ass you fucking whore." Seriously. Now as my family, My Man, and most of the bloggers who have met me in person will attest to, I'm a champion swearer. I can cuss with the best of them. But this woman? Every other word was an obscenity. And frankly? She sounded really unhinged. Unhinged enough that I wasn't about to open the door. Just as I was thinking about calling down to the front desk, she storms off down the hall.

Barbara, who was by this point wondering if she was back in New York City, got bit by the curiosity bug. So she left the room and discovered said unhinged woman sobbing by the elevators, surrounded by security, and her luggage. Yes, sobbing. Because she couldn't understand why they "called the cops." She then wondered what kind of convention the hotel had that the attendees would "call the cops." Um, the kind of attendees who don't want to listen to a crazy woman ranting in a hotel hallway at 2AM.

After that excitement, we all went to bed, only to get up this morning early to hear Janet Evanovich give the Opening Session talk. She basically answered some prepared questions about her life and career, and it was a nice way to start the day. After that, I hit FedEx to ship my first box of books back to California. I'm really trying to be restrained and not grab too many....but it's hard. I easily get distracted by the pretty and the shiny.

Then came lunch which featured Keynote Speaker Linda Howard. Now I heard Howard at a RWA Librarian Event some years back and she was charming, funny and entertaining. She delivered again here, relaying some very funny stories about her family that had people rolling in the aisles.

I wrapped up the afternoon by hitting the Avon publisher signing. I picked up a few things for myself and scored a Rachel Hawthorne (Lorraine Heath for you romance readers) YA novel for the Lil' Sis's classroom.

I had a dinner invitation, so I hit the room to get ready - where I ran into my roomies and AztecLady. I keep forgetting to mention that I have met AztecLady! And yes, I now know her real name. Admit it. Y'all are just plain jealous.

I came back to the hotel after a scrumptious dinner, called My Man, then hit the bar to have some drinks and scintillating conversation with Miss Rosie. And despite my original plan to get to bed early tonight? Yeah, it's 2-frickin-AM. Again. Two damn days in a row. Shoot me now because at this rate I'm going to be Dead Woman Walking by Sunday morning.

4 comments:

Jill D. said...

Okay, I am going to want pictures and a detailed list off all this loot you are shipping home! It sounds like you are having a fabulous time. Wish I could be there with you guys!

Tracy said...

omg you had the unhinged woman from hell in your hotel? I always get those when I go to Vegas. Maybe it's the same woman. lol

Just remember we want lots of pictures!!

nath said...

LOL, lots of action at the RWA it seems :D

Sounds like you're having a grand time :)

Wendy said...

Jill: I'm actually be conservative this year when it comes to the goodies....and yet it looks like I'll be shipping three boxes home.

Tracy: Seriously! This woman sounded half out of her mind crazy. I can't believe Barbara left the room to find out what was going on. But then she's from the City and is made of sterner stuff than I.

Nath: Grand time, but I'm exhausted. I almost stayed in bed late this morning just because I'm in desperate need of some sleep. Ultimately though I mustered up some gumption from somewhere and got moving.