Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Authors, Books, And Wendy Blowing Up Her Credit Card

I was going to do a nice, thoughtful post for Memorial Day, but threw that out the window when I noticed that RWA has posted the list of authors signing at the Literacy Autographing on July 15 in Washington D.C.

If you live anywhere within spitting distance of D.C., and can't afford to attend the whole RWA conference, I still highly recommend you make the trip for at least this one event. It's free to get in, open to the public, and the cost of any books you purchase are donated to literacy charities. It's an awesome, wonderful, amazing event, and really? Seeing that many authors, gathered in one ballroom, all signing their latest releases is really flippin' cool. Hell, even if you don't buy a single book, it's worth coming in just to people watch.

Lots of great authors lined up this year - including Nora, Jennifer Crusie, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, J.R. Ward and Suzanne Brockmann. But I know you're dying to ask? Who am I excited about seeing?

Nicola Cornick.

I've read and loved her last two Harlequin Historicals (the Edwardian, The Last Rake In London and the throwback, Kidnapped: His Innocent Mistress). Plus, she lives in England. This is a long-ass trip for her, and I'm sure she's shelling out the bucks because she has back-to-back-to-back releases coming out from HQN this summer (I picked up The Confessions Of A Duchess this weekend). So I'm really, really excited to meet her. I mean, she's in England, I'm in California. How many chances am I gonna get?

Any others? Thea Devine will be in da house again this year. I've met her before, but this year I vow I will finally get my hard cover, book club edition of Desired signed. It's a must. That woman's stories are like crack for me. Hey, you all have J.R. Ward. I have Thea Devine. Over the top sexual shenanigans and soap opera plots. Seriously. My life doesn't get any better than that.

So what authors on the list intrigue you? Are you attending RWA this year? Making the trip for the Literarcy Signing? C'mon, dish!

11 comments:

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

Nice list! JR Ward and CL Wilson of course!
Very excited for RWA. I love DC. Hopefully I won't embarrass myself and make sure to get enough sleep.

Barbara said...

I saw the list last night!!! I really need to compile my list of authors that I HAVE to see. Hmmm...this isn't going to be easy.

And don't worry, Katie, if anyone will embarrass themselves it's likely going to be me, lol. I never know what to say, so I kinda stand there with my mouth hanging open, lol.

azteclady said...

*whispering*













I'm gonna be there

dancechica said...

I will most likely be there. Seems a shame to miss it since I'm in the area. There are a lot of impressive authors on the list, so I haven't fully decided who I'd like to see, but I'd definitely like to meet Nora Roberts. I'll probably end up spending most of my time walking around, looking for new-to-me authors to discover.

Kristie (J) said...

They've released the list earlier this year haven't they? I like it! And while there are quite a few I'm looking forward to - some of the ones I'd love to meet aren't there :-(

AnimeJune said...

The people I'd most love to see (and have sign books:

Jennifer Crusie
Suzanne Enoch
Laura Lee Guhrke
Julie James
Julie Anne Long
Kate Noble (I'm so excited for Revealed and Compromised)

Wendy said...

Katie: My advice would be to hit Ward's table first. That's what I did last year with Nora, and it worked out really well. Saved myself from standing in a long-ass line.

Barbara: I need to compile my list too! Figure out what authors I just HAVE to see.

AL: Yippeeeeeeeeee!

Dancechica: You should go - even if for only the Lit. Signing. It's really super fabulous, and it'll only cost you in whatever books you buy. It's well worth the trip I say.

Kristie: It does seem like the list was posted earlier this year - although the conference is earlier this year than last. I was happy to see such a nice, healthy list of authors signing. I was worried given the crappy economy.

AnimeJune: You're good - and already have a list started! I need to spend some time doing that.....

Nicola Cornick said...

Hey Wendy, I'm looking forward to meeting you too!! Thank you - you made my day (and it's a cold, rainy old day here in Scotland so extra special thanks!)

Kati said...

I can't wait! I live in DC, so of course I'll be there. I'll be following your advice and jumping in Nora's line first. I'm so sorry that Lisa Kleypas won't be there.

But the line up looks like a ton of fun!

Wendy said...

Nicola: Oops, I stepped in it. Scotland...not England. Still, you're coming a loooong way to attend Nationals, so I definitely want to stop by your table and say Hi!

Kati: Nora gets her own table, and last year I wanted to get the latest JD Robb release for a coworker. I hit her line first, before it got too obnoxiously long, and that seemed to work out well.

Kleypas didn't do the Literacy Signing last year either - but she was around for her publisher's signing a couple of days later (St. Martin's, I think?). I have a bit of a girl crush on Lisa. She's so frickin' nice, sweet and beautiful. It's disgusting really ;-)

Emily said...

I adore Jennifer Crusie. I do fan squee for her. You know how sometimes you don't want to meet people because you don't want your impression to be blasted away by meanness/snottiness/general yuckiness? Well not so with Jennifer Crusie. I met her a while back in Chicago and she was the nicest woman even after being "on" for 48 plus hours. She even complimented me on my dress. I about died. To everyone who is going to national, have fun!