Fans of the books know this is not the first time there have been movie talks. Back when Demi Moore had a career (remember those days?) she was linked to the Scarpetta role, and specifically a movie version of From Potter's Field (the best book in the series, in my opinion).
A few reasons why I think it might work this time around:
- Jolie met with Cornwell personally.
- Although Jolie isn't blonde or remotely Italian-looking, I think she'll be able to get the "feel" of the Scarpetta character right.
- Jolie is hotter than hot right now.
- The plan is to develop a franchise around the characters, and not use one specific book as script material. I think this is an insanely smart idea.
- The Lucy character. What will they do with her? Little Girl Lucy, like in the early books? Total screw-up Lucy like in the middle books? Finally getting her shit together Lucy like in the later books? I think you dump the Lucy character entirely, but if they feel like they have to have her, I say go with Little Girl Lucy.
- Casting Marino. They need to cast him right. I always pictured George Dzundza as Marino. Maybe John Goodman, although he's too "likeable" in my mind. The problem is that both of these guys are probably "too old" now. Hollywood will probably want to go "young." The actor needs to be hefty in size and be able to play politically incorrect convincingly while still coming off as a "smart" cop. In my opinion, this is non-negotiable.
- The script. All of this is a moot point if a decent script doesn't surface.