Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Weekend Cliffs Notes

My Tigers (notice how they're back to being "my" Tigers) have won six in a row. Damn, I'm getting my hopes up. No good can come of this.

****

I did not talk to my father on this Father's Day. Not because I'm a horrible, awful daughter - but because he was at MIS today watching Dale Jr. win. Not sure how the old man feels about this. Probably just fine. It was Jr.'s daddy he had a tendency to loathe.

****

I was physically sick to my stomach after I heard about Tim Russert dying. I spent my college years living in Buffalo, NY. I would have stayed in Buffalo after graduation if there was even a glimmer of hope that I could have gotten a library job with a living wage - but alas, it wasn't in the cards. So when I heard about Russert's passing? I felt like a little piece of Buffalo, NY died. The only way I can describe it? I imagine it's what the people of New York City felt like after they heard that Jerry Orbach died. So desperately sad.

****

I'm probably going to have Sleeping With The Devil by Vanessa Marlow wrapped up by tomorrow. I'm liking it. Quite a bit. And this frightens me given my bumpy track record with the author's Cheryl Holt alter ego. Maybe I should open my front door just to make sure the Four Horsemen aren't standing there? More discussion on this is forthcoming. Promise.

6 comments:

Kristie said...

I was at todays game and they almost blew it! I couldn't believe it!!! But they are playing well, not just winning against bad teams. Everything seems to be clicking right now.

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

You may be very surprised with Cheryl Holt's alter ego. I was! :D
Can't wait to see what you think.

nath said...

I'm glad that your team picked it up a bit! Let's hope it continues!

Margaret Moore said...

Go Tigers! I'll be thinking of you when I'm standing on the Green Monster at Fenway next week.

I wasn't familiar with Tim Russert, but I know Tonawanda, Lackawanna, etc. I probably wouldn't be writing if I hadn't seen the classic movies shown on Sunday afternoons by one of the local Buffalo TV stations. But I know the feeling -- I was as upset when John Candy died as if he was a personal friend.

Nikki said...

I'm really interested in your take on Sleep with the Devil. I hate to second guess myself like this but I didn't know the Cheryl Holt connection, and when I had the book at the checkout at B & N, I ended up not buying it. Somehow I thought it was going to be too dark for me. I'm not sure I would have bought it anyway knowing who the author is, but still....

Wendy said...

Kristie: God bless TiVo! I recorded the game because I was running errands - so I was able to fast forward through the rain delay and our bullpen's 9th inning meltdown. Go Marcus Thames! Why Leyland isn't DH-ing him full time continues to baffle me.

Margaret: And Cheektowaga! I love Americans. We kicked all the natives off their land but then named everything after them! And ::sniff:: John Candy too. Lord, this is depressing.....

Nikki: It is pretty dark. Basically you're reading about this woman's downward spiral into an abusive relationship. Not exactly sunshine, happy, puppy dogs and rainbows. More discussion forthcoming. I just need to find the time to wrap up these final 100 pages.....