Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Look Inside My Holds Queue

I seem to be suffering from a festering case of ennui at the moment, which in layman's terms means "I got nothing." So I thought it might be fun, or at least blog filler, to let the world at large peak inside my holds queue. In other words, what books have I placed on hold for my own personal amusement at work. Yeah, I know I already own an obscene amount of books on my own, but I do utilize the library for my hard cover fix, and for those titles I'm just not quite sure enough about to buy with my own hard earned dollars. Here's what I'm waiting on at the moment:


Killing Bridezilla by Laura Levine - And the cycle continues. Every June, Laura Levine publishes a new book in her Jaine Austen cozy mystery series. And every June I say I'm going to wait for a library copy, but ultimately cave and buy my own. Then I read the damn thing in less than 24 hours, and end up donating my copy to work. I just cannot wait. These books are fast, fun reads and Levine always manages to cram a compelling mystery, with plenty of viable suspects, into less than 260 pages. I don't know how the woman does it, and does it so well. Not enough people are reading her says I.




The Dirty Secrets Club by Meg Gardiner - A So. Cal. native now living in England, Gardiner hit the "big time" last year when Stephen King devoted one of his Entertainment Weekly columns to her sheer genius. At that point she was only being published overseas. With King's endorsement came publicity and this, her sixth novel, is being released in the States on June 12. Normally I don't give much credence to such endorsements, but the plot on this one tickled my fancy. The heroine is a medical examiner called in to conduct autopsies on several high-profile suicides in San Francisco. Naturally, mayhem ensues.





Vodka Neat by Anna Blundy - Another author originally published overseas, Vodka Neat is actually the third book in the Faith Zanetti series. This one flipped my switch after reading a review. Faith is a foreign correspondent with an alcohol problem who is arrested after she sets foot on Russian soil. They think she's connected to a series of homicides. Unfortunately for Faith, she was drunk at the time of the murders, and the details are sketchy. So off she goes to find the charming Russian black marketeer she married at the tender age of 19. That's when all hell breaks loose.





Sleeping With the Devil by Vanessa Marlow - Marlow is a pseudonym for erotic-romance author Cheryl Holt. I've only read one novel by Holt, and let's just say the experience left me emotionally scarred. I chalked her up as "not for me," and traipsed along my merry way. Then I heard about this novel, which is billed as an "erotic thriller." I adore erotic thrillers. Also, Katie(babs) blogged about this one ages ago, and her thoughts really intrigued me. Will it turn out to be a case of curiosity killing the cat librarian? Time will tell....

5 comments:

Alie said...

Ooh I'm going to check out Vodka Neat now based on your summary :) Thanks for sharing!

nath said...

Hi Wendy :D

just out of curiosity... does the Jaine Austen series have a romance thread in them? I know their mystery, but yeah... LOL, I'm interested, but I want to know if there's a bit of romance ^_^;

Wendy said...

Nath: Not really. Jaine's love life is too much of a disaster for there to be any real romance in the series (as of yet anyway). They are very light, funny books though - so even without a romance they're still worth checking out says I.

~ames~ said...

Interesting.

But yeah, my library queue is all about hard covers. Or new authors.

I'm not a fan of Holt either, so I'll see what your final thoughts are on that book. :P

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

Wendy: I was never a fan of Cheryl Holt's historicals. Sorry my heroines have to know what a penis is at least! But her new release under her new name caught me by surprised. There is no trademark Cheryl Holt in any of those pages. If you have seen Hitchcock's Vertigo, Sleeping With the Devil is like the movie but very very dark and a bit disturbing.