Almost two years ago I took my current job and knew that my first order of business was library furnishings. The upholstry on the chairs was non-existent and in many instances shredded to the point of embarrassment. It looked like a small army of cats (I'd guess about 1000 strong) had been sharpening their claws for the last 5 years. Stuffing was falling out, and in many cases bare wood exposed.
I was able to fix the immediate problem by scrounging up surplus chairs at library headquarters. Some of them weren't high end, but they were light years ahead of what I had.
However, that only went so far. I was going to have to find a money tree and get some of them reupholstered.
It took over a year, but I finally found that money tree. Between my Friends Of The Library organization (beautiful people) and donations from the public I was able to get 10 chairs recovered. I'm so happy I could just about weep tears of joy. Not only for having "new" chairs, but also for the freedom that I now have. For the first time since taking this job, I don't have to think about furniture for a while. That albatross has passed for now.