Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Sweet Smell Of Success

My children's librarian is on vacation this week, and given that I'm clinically insane, I decided to surprise her.

Last week I finished weeding our nasty, horribly out of date reference collection. How horrible was it? Well one gem I found was a "Current Events" book from 1990. It talked about the Soviet Union of cripes sake.

This week I've:


  • Finished shifting the reference collection
  • Relocated all the adult biographies over to the end of the reference collection
  • Miscalculated how many shelves I would need - had to have a strong, young able-bodied volunteer shift oversize collection (think "coffee table books")
  • Took all the oversized Chilton automative repair manuals and had volunteer shelve them in their own special area.
  • Weeded mystery paperbacks and found 2 empty shelves.
  • Cataloged a butt-load of romance paperbacks from Reno, as well as from the library patron who decided to get rid of her entire Nora Roberts, Debbie Macomber, and Jayne Ann Krentz collection.

This means I have a whole new bank of empty shelves next to the children's area. My children's librarian should be quite pleased. But she's on her own with shifting that nonsense. I'm toast.

In other news, I did a "school visit" yesterday (again, children's librarian on vacation!) to a local school. The kindergarten teacher was having an orientation for incoming students and she wanted me to talk about how wonderful the library is to their parents. I also read a story to the kiddies. It went well. Again, I think my youth threw them. I'm 30 - but a young looking 30, so when I introduce myself as the "branch manager" most people do a double take.

It's a good problem to have. Trust me, I'm not complaining.

The kids seemed to like the story, but they were a shy bunch. I think it had more to do with being at school then having the strange library lady read to them - but you never know.

2 comments:

shayera said...

sounds like fun!
i love moving sections around. it feels like a whole new library once i'm finished.
i got this last week when i was being screamed at by a patron refusing to pay his fines, "you? you can't be the manager! you're a mere child! where's the old woman, the real manager."
the old woman happens to be my children's libraian, who's on vacation in japan.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I love going down to the desk in full director mode to back up my 40-something and older staff or lay down the law... and shock and awe the patron with my 33-year-old self!