Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Dental Hell & Current Read

I am so sick of seeing my dentist I could just scream.

A word of advice: Do not put off going to the dentist - even if you don't have dental insurance. Find a dental hygentist school in your area and at least get your teeth cleaned (I had mine done once for $15!).

I think I'm finally down to only 2 more appointments. Gum check-up and cleaning today, and I need 2 fillings replaced on my right side still. Ugh.

In more pleasant news, I'm reading through some of my TBR. I bought Winter Woman by Jenna Kernan back in 2003 - her debut western with Harlequin Historicals. It's pretty good so far.

Cordelia Channing survived a Rocky Mountain winter alone. Her preacher husband went hunting and wound up dead. Some friendly Indians find her half-starved and knowing only one white man in the area, they take her to Thomas Nash.

Nash is a trapper and the last thing he wants is to take in Cordelia. But the woman is half-starved and he can't say no. He promises to take her back East when weather permits.

A couple of really nice things so far. One, the time period. The last few westerns I've read have been post-Civil War, not that there is anything wrong with that, but reading one that takes place in 1835 is a nice switch. The Rockies are still largely uncivilized, and the story features unsettled areas.

I also like that Kernan has made the story gruesome. That's probably not the right word, but the couple is battling the wilderness. Heck, the heroine has already learned about trapping and has had to skin a grizzly bear. I'd say this has largely been a story of survival thus far, and quite frankly, I'm finding that interesting. How this mild-mannered preacher's wife from Ohio could survive on her own is sure to be told in more detail as she keeps a journal. I suspect the hero will be sneaking peaks at it soon.

1 comment:

sybil said...

I have this but haven't read it yet. I loved Turner's Woman. I think that is the title.