Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Friday, January 14, 2005

Reason + Logic = Total Waste Of Breath

Thank gawd for the civil rights movement and MLK, because if I didn't have this long weekend off from work I think I might have done something drastic.

Like quit my job.

I mean, I probably wouldn't have - because well, I like having a place to live, food to eat and money to buy books. But still, by Wednesday my patience was sorely tested by the following:
  1. Mentally ill homeless man who has the potential for violence scaring the bejebus out of my staff.
  2. A belligerent man who drove to 3 different libraries in totally different areas of the county to bitch about a $2 fine he refused to pay. Lucky me, I was Library #3 and he interrupted my lunch break.
  3. Another library who called to bitch about us (turns out me) checking in one of their notoriously ratty books and not noticing that the book was "obviously" water damaged and moldy. Why didn't we charge the patron? Well, maybe because all their books look like shit and I just can't figure out what the patron did as opposed to the condition the book was most likely in when they found it on the shelf.

Now this probably doesn't sound all that terrible - but man, that guy bitching about the $2 about pushed me over the edge. I have a hard time dealing with people who:

  1. Won't take no for an answer
  2. Won't listen to reason

That's my problem, I keep trying to reason with the general public. I need to stop trying to do that.

But now I get to enjoy a blissful 4 days off before I need to go back. By that time I might have run off and joined the circus - but it's too soon to tell. In the meantime, I'm soaking up Law & Order reruns, NFL playoffs, and hopefully more of Crimson Moon by Rebecca York.

No comments: