Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Thursday, December 30, 2004

It's Official - I Don't Get It

So I finished Derik's Bane by MaryJanice Davidson and have to say I wasn't that impressed. Don't get me wrong, it starts out great. Then somewhere around the 100 page mark it just got tedious. I will say this, I learned a valuable lesson from reading this book. Even I, Queen Sarcasm, cannot handle non-stop smart ass dialouge. Who knew?

The hero is a werewolf sent on a mission to "take care of" the heroine - who just happens to be the reincarnation of Morgan Le Fay. Seems she's going to destroy the world, and it is up to the hero to stop her. But then he actually meets her and can't kill her. Not only is she too ditzy to be evil, she's also really darn cute. So the two decide to hook up and travel cross country to save the planet.

It's amazing really that a 300 page novel lacks any meaningful conversation between any of the characters. I'm not kidding - it's all banter. I think it all started going downhill when the hero tries to the strangle the heroine and she responds by shouting insults at him and hurling objects like DVD cases at him. Huh? Why not grab a butcher knife (they were in her house after all) or run out the door screaming bloody murder in your quiet residential neighborhood. But that's just me being plain silly again.

And that's the ultimate problem - the whole thing is so dang superficial that any wiff of a romance gets lost in the shuffle. Basically the two hook-up, banter and have sex. Call me old fashioned, but shouldn't the characters - oh I don't know - actually talk to each other outside of snappy one-liners before they decide to spend the rest of the lives together? But maybe that's just me being plain silly again.

So it was a big disappointment. I still have Davidson's Undead and Unwed in my TBR. I'm currently debating whether or not I'll read it or just donate it to the library unread. Any opinions?

No comments: