Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

I only have to get through 6 more hours before ::drumroll please::



Veteran's Day!



I'll let you all in on a little librarian secret: the pay blows monkey balls - but we get a butt load of holiday time off. Quick rule of thumb: if your post office is closed for the holiday, so is your local library.



So big wet kissies to all the veterans! I love not working almost as much as I love reading.



In exciting library news - I need to stop leaving this building early. Before closing last night one of our regular homeless patrons got aggravated when we told him "the library is closing." Normally he's quiet, keeps to himself, and we have no issues. But he was apparantly a bit on the twitchy side last night.



Makes you want to run out and work in the public service industry doesn't it?



In reading news - I'm still slogging my way through Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks. I'm having a hard time with this one, because I feel like I'm *missing* something. Despite being the first book in a new series, it reads like a book three. There are lots of characters, and so much "political" stuff going on in the backstory that the author mentions, but fails to fully flesh out. Does that make any sense? However, the heroine is totally fabulous. I have this thing for tough female cop characters, but Wilks' girl is also Chinese! Not a whole lot of Asian characters floating around in Romance Novel Land - sad but true.



The story is roughly as follows: There's a dead body and it appears the guy was killed by a werewolf. The supernatural in Wilks' novel are known to exist - it's just they are persecuted. The hero is a werewolf who happens to be having an affair with the dead guy's wife. The heroine is the lead detective on the case. Naturally they end up working together.



The political stuff that has me confused involves the werewolf clan system. There's some intrigue going on behind the scenes, and the author just sort of dumps the reader in the middle of it. I just passed the halfway mark and I still feel like I'm play catch-up.



But have I mentioned how fab the heroine is?



I hope to have this one wrapped up by tomorrow. After that, I'm really itching for a historical of some sort. Maybe a western.

No comments: