Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, September 27, 2004

Time again for Wendy's Football Picks From The Past Weekend.



This Monday I'd like to feature my bonehead call of the weekend. As my "Upset Special" I picked Cincinnati over Baltimore. I know, I have no idea what I was thinking. Maybe it was lack of oxygen to the brain - I spent part of my weekend sick with a sore throat.



I also put a massive dent in Trace by Patricia Cornwell and wrapped it up this morning. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. A vast improvement over the last two entries in the series. Our heroine, Kay Scarpetta, is back to working the autopsy table (she's a former medical examiner), and there is actually a mystery. The last couple of books dealt solely with character relationships with a mystery tossed in as an afterthought. Here, the mystery is the focus.



I will say that Cornwell continues the bad habit of leaving loose threads dangling, but as she tends to get to these in later books I haven't become terribly annoyed with the habit. I wouldn't be surprised in Kay finds herself back in Richmond, Virginia working more cases in future books. Pure speculation on my part - but a reasonable assumption I think.



Next up - another mystery. Body Double by Tess Gerritsen.

No comments: