Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

I must have done something right, because I've read two review books in a row that were just fabulous.



I wrapped up Come To Me by Lisa Cach this morning, and have been wondering ever since why this author is not a huge star. This is my third book by her - the third that has rated at least a B on my personal rating scale. I can only guess it's because she continues to take risks with her storylines, never settling down to be pigeonholed into one single sub genre.



Come To Me is the story of a succubus (a demon who brings erotic dreams to mortal men) who finds herself turned into a mortal woman to help our hero, a scarred prince hungry for revenge. Seems our heroine provided the wrong dream to the wrong man, which led to our hero living in exile and practicing black magic. Don't you just hate it when that happens?



Toss into this mix the fact that the story takes place in 15th century Transylvania - well it ain't your typical romance novel is it? And by typical I mean Regency Historical, Victorian England, contemporary comedy, romantic suspense, or even my personal favorite - a western.



Next on my list is the latest novel by Patricia Cornwell - Trace. I'm really looking forward to it, as I've heard the author returns to her forensic suspense roots. I've was keenly disappionted in the last two novels in the Kay Scarpetta suspense series, so I'm hoping that the rumors are true, and Trace will be a return to high form.

No comments: