Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, August 30, 2004

Wouldn't you know it? The minute the abandoned car is gone the fun and games begin again. This morning at the library it's graffiti - again. Second time this month. After a thorough check on my part - it appears that only the back of the building was tagged. I've put a call into the city, and hopefully the paint crew will make an appearance soon.



I also dodged a bullet and wonder which deity I have to thank for it. I was sent an advanced copy of In A Wild Wood by Sasha Lord for review and was planning on writing up said review this morning. Then I checked the updates over at TRR - only to see that someone else already beat me to the punch. Thank goodness!



In A Wild Wood tells the story of a petulant, spoiled girl who doesn't want to marry. Her mother informs her she doesn't understand all that she is giving up by not marrying (this is set in medieval times). So when our heroine spies our hero tied to a tree by thieves she decides to satisfy her curiosity on carnal relations. Naturally, the girl's family finds out and a hasty marriage is arranged. Our hero is unthrilled with this development, and to make matters worse his new wife is rather headstrong.



Outside of the heroine, whose motives annoyed me, I found everything smooth sailing until the scene. Like a 1980s bodice-ripper, the author tosses in a "forced seduction." For you who don't know what this is - think rape, only with a stupendous orgasm on the heroine's part. Distasteful no?



To make matters more confusing, outside of this totally icky scene, I rather liked the story. The writing style borders on the flowery side - which I normally deplore - but I found the book as a whole rather readable. In fact, for the final half of the book I had a hard time putting it down. I was fretting over how I was going to write a review for a book I liked outside of one distasteful scene. A scene that many readers (I'm sure) would find troubling. Luckily, I don't have to now.



All of which begs the question - what was the editor thinking by not leaving that scene on the cutting room floor?

No comments: