Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, August 16, 2004

I swear my ovaries shrivel up a bit more every day I'm here at work.



I cannot tolerate whiney children. Which makes me wonders - why do parents put up with it? I think it's to secretly torture me. Instead of taking these kids by the arm, ear, or seat of their pants and exit stage right - these parents continue to causally browse the library while the child is whining, "Moooommmmyyyyyy, I want a video. Mooommmmyyyy, I want to go outside. Moooommmmyyy, I want to go home" etc. etc. etc.



It just makes me further appreciate what a fabulous mother my older sister is. When my niece gets the least bit whiney in public, Lori hauls her out of the store and they head straight home. This is unspeakable torture for my niece, who loves to go out - and I think it's the main reason why the child is so darn well behaved in public - and she's not even 3 yet.



Besides excessively whiney children that parents won't discipline, I was greeted with graffiti at the office today. Luckily my children's librarian noticed the problem on Saturday and left a message for the city's graffiti clean up crew. The problem areas were painted over before we opened for business today.



Speaking of whining - I've been doing that a lot lately on this blog. Why not discuss something more pleasant - like the latest smutty book I'm reading? The Irish Devil by Diane Whiteside is not only smutty, it's a western! Could my life possibly get any better?! I started it this morning, and am already nearing the 100 page mark.



Our heroine, poor thing, has been working as a laundress ever since her drunken, idiot husband was murdered. Disowned by her wealthy Eastern family, she's doing making due - until her husband's murderer buys all of her worldly possessions in an effort to force her into marriage. Not keen on this idea, she instead goes to our hero, an Irish immigrant and successful business owner and offers up her services as a potential mistress. Having admired (and lusted over) her from afar, he agrees and offers her money and protection in exchange.



There's a lot going on here I like so far. The heroine has moxie - having already successfully defended herself with a broken whiskey bottle. The hero is a self-made man, Irish (like what's not to love about that?!), sexy as hell, and the author is already dipping into his backstory via flashbacks (I love this writing technique, I just can't help myself).



If this whiney kid (who is now screaming) doesn't give me a raging headache, I look forward to reading a lot more of this book on my dinner break.

No comments: