Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I'm still sick.  What kind of person gets a head cold in July - in southern California?  I'm used to being afflicted with this sort of thing in January in Michigan.



The good news is I finally scheduled a spa appointment to spend my birthday gift certificate.  On August 13 I can look forward to a whole day of pampering.  An oil wrap, a full body massage, a facial, manicure and pedicure.  I normally have little patience for primping (Make-up? What's make-up?), but I have to say I'm really looking forward to it.  Just once I'd like to have "cute feet." 



I wrapped up Somebody Wonderful by Kate Rothwell on my lunch break yesterday, and I largely enjoyed it.  I bought this book for a couple of reasons:

  1. The interesting time period (19th century New York City)
  2. The hero - who was an Irish immigrant police officer, as opposed to the ubiquitous cowboy or blue blood.

For those reasons I really enjoyed this debut novel.  Unfortunately I found the heroine and her family baffling.  Here's a prime example - after her older brother learns that she is "living in sin" with an Irish cop he tells the hero that "he'll do" and he "rather likes him."  Huh?  Our heroine, while raised unconventionally, comes from money and privilege. 

Normally I'm not a stickler for historical accuracy in my fiction novels.  I figure the author is writing fiction and can do as he/she pleases - but really this was too much.  The Irish in 19th century America were about half a step up from the freed slaves.  No one from money or privilege would have allowed their daughter to marry an Irishman - let alone an Irishman fresh off the boat and working for the corrupt NYC police department.

Next up is an interesting looking mystery novel I scored here at work: I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason by Susan Kandel.  Our heroine is working on a biography of Erle Stanley Gardner (the creator of Perry Mason) when she discovers correspondence between the author and a convict proclaiming his innocence.  Hoping to cure a case of writer's block, our heroine goes to visit the convict and ends up becoming embroiled in a 40 year old murder investigation.



No comments: