Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

I know I've been posting a lot lately, so in the event that I've created any blog junkies out there, I apologize for my absence since Tuesday.  I spent most of Wednesday and Thursday in meetings for work, and frankly they left me so depressed that I spent most of my Friday off in various bookstores cheering myself up.  Call it retail therapy.



I'm not sure what I was thinking by moving to California.  I was obviously not thinking, because it has become apparent that this state is incapable of running itself.  For those of you not familiar with California outside of what you read/see in the media I'm here to tell you - it's all true!  Imagine a dysfunctional family getting together for a holiday meal and you'll have a basic idea of what California state government is like. 



We still don't have a budget.  And Arnold calling the Democrats "girly men" hasn't exactly helped matters (yes, the whole thing really is that stupid).  Since the state doesn't have a budget - neither does the county - and neither does the library. 



This whole not having money thing eventually trickles down to my service population.  I cannot offer them the services and materials I would like to.  I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to be the sole supplier for my library's romance collection, so I guess it's a good thing most of my read paperbacks look like new (I'm anal about the condition of my books).  I do see a few donations, but most of them are in such a state that I cannot add them to our circulating collection.



Luckily our mystery paperback collection looks fairly decent thanks to a local bookstore that went out of business and donated much of their leftover stock.  However, the general paperback and romance collections had to be actively weeded due to falling about books.  Obviously these collections are used, but with no consistent way to keep them replenished I predict I'm going to be apologizing to a lot of library patrons.



Either that, or I'm just going to have to read a whole lot faster.

No comments: