Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Thursday, July 8, 2004

By my estimate the state of this country's mental health care system went down the toilet in the 1980s. I've been spinning a fantasy in my head of how that budget meeting went down in the Oval Office:



Some Advisor: "Mr. President - we could fund the Star Wars project if we cut mental health care!"

Reagan: "That's an excellent idea! These people don't need much help - after all, they can just spend their days in public libraries!"



I'm sure it was probably a bit more complex than that, but after just dealing with The Mad Russian (again) I'm ready for a shot of Jack Daniels.



I can't decide if our Mad Russian patron is mentally ill or just a garden variety crack pot. He's always writing letters to various government types with bad punctuation, formatting, and spelling. This latest one was to the DMV and was about getting his license revoked.



I've made the mistake of humoring him, so he's latched onto me. He's also the kind of person that you must repeat things to over and over and over and over and over.....



Well you get the idea.



Every library has it's crazies - but I swear I have more per capita here than should be legally allowed. Personally I think it's all the sunshine here in California - it's literally cooked one too many brain cells.

No comments: