Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, November 3, 2003

I am counting down the days until my upcoming vacation time. Yours truly will not be in the office from November 6 - November 11. A big thanks to all you veterans out there - I get November 11 off because the library is closed on Veteran's Day.



I'm currently reading a not-so-good book and I can't decide if it's the book's fault I'm not enjoying it, or if I'm just being a picky ninny-pants.



I'm reading A Thoroughly Modern Princess by Wendy Corsi Staub. It's about a European princess who is engaged to be married to a prince when she has a one-night stand with a wealthy American business man. You guessed it - the girl gets knocked up. Her solution to this little dilemna is to call said wealthy American business man and become a runaway bride.



Where to begin. First I find it more than a little distasteful that the virginal heroine would throw her chastity aside for a one-nighter when she's engaged. I mean, sure the marriage is arranged, but in my mind she still owes the poor sap a little consideration.



Then there's the completely distasteful behavior of the hero. He knows she's engaged - and he still deflowers her. I know men are dogs - but c'mon - there's still a code of honor. Most men I've known in my life strongly believe in two things: 1) Never make a play on your best friend's girl (ex or otherwise) and 2) Don't mess with women who are in a committed relationship.



And then there's the fact that the heroine gets pregnant. Now, I've never been to Europe, but I'm pretty sure you can probably buy condoms there. And while I'm willing to cut a little slack the virgin's way - a playboy hero should know better.



All this aside, the book is well written. Hence my feeling that maybe I'm being a ninny about the whole thing. However, everytime I think about this premise it makes me want to hurl something - pottery, dishes, my lunch....

No comments: