Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Saturday, June 7, 2003

The unthinkable has happened.

My younger sister has read a trashy romance novel.

My younger sister who reads Ayn Rand and Lady Chatterley's Lover - for fun.

And boy did she pick a doozy. My sister decided to read Bliss River by Thea Devine.

I have a major weakness for Devine - but even I admit her books have no redeemable qualities to them whatsoever. I read them for the camp factor - and of course the naughtiness. Think of her books like Melrose Place (or any other Aaron Spelling soap) with more naked people and you'll have a vague idea what her writing is like.

Naturally I had to offer some sisterly advice to Sheri on what books to try and which ones to avoid like the plague. Romance-erotica is a potential disaster zone for an inexperienced romance reader.

Now all I have to do is convince her that there is such a thing as good writing, strong characters, and interesting plots in romance novels.

This is going to take a lot of persuasion and work on my part....

No comments: