Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Friday, March 21, 2003

Really, I'm not a bubblehead. I have thoughts, ideas, and opinions - all that happy fun stuff. Truly I do. I just am not always the best at articulating how I feel on certain issues, and well, I hate conflict. I am the sort of person who avoids an argument - I would have made a lousy lawyer.

Again though - I do have opinions, and since everyone is talking about Iraq these days, why can't I?

After 9/11 the United States had unprecedented support from the world (even China folks - that's saying something), and our president was universally loved. A year and a half later the story is completely different. How the U.S. could squander so much good will in a year and a half still boggles my mind. The whole thing stinks in a "something is rotten in Denmark" sort of way.

So how did we squander it? Well I think Bush lost a whole lot of people with his you're either with us or against us mentality. Diplomacy is only one part, "carry a big stick." The part that seems to have been forgotten is to "speak softly."

Americans are forever living down the notion that we're a bunch of obnoxious, loud-mouthed yokels who wouldn't know subtlety if it bit us in the butt. Our invasion of Iraq and our thumbing our noses at the U.N. only reinforces this opinion. With half the world already resenting the heck out of us - well it is not looking good folks.

I don't like Saddam. Of course we should have kicked him to the curb 10 years ago - but that's another rant entirely. I don't think the way to handle him is to back him into a corner and poke a stick at him. He's going to do something stupid - and when Saddam gets stupid, it gets messy. The minute he knows it's hopeless I wouldn't be surprised if the chemical weapons are released and/or he bombs the heck out of Israel. I admit this is pure speculation on my part.

So do I support the war in Iraq? Well it's a little late for that isn't it? We now have troops over there - and I wholeheartedly support them. For better or worse we're along for the ride, and the chips are going to fall where they may. Time to break out the yellow ribbons.

No comments: