Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, March 30, 2015

The 3rd Annual Tigers Meet Harlequin Extravaganza!

This blog has been in existence for 12 years and by my count I've had two great ideas in that entire time.  1) Starting the blog in the first place and 2) Imagining players from my favorite baseball team, the Detroit Tigers, as heroes in category (specifically Harlequin) romance novels.  Long-time visitors of this blog acknowledge the existence of two universal truths:

1) Wendy is insufferable about baseball
2) Wendy is insufferable about Harlequin category romances

And Lord help us all, I seem to have developed a very loyal (Dare I say it? Slightly obsessive?) following to these posts.  Which means I guess I'll be stuck doing them every spring until people grow to hate them, I run out of ideas or players.  Whichever comes first.

For those of you who are new here, it's really quite simple.  I take a real life player on the current Detroit Tigers roster.  I look at him as a person, a player, co-op a bit of his real life story, and throw in a bunch of completely made-up stuff to concoct a category romance novel around him.  Yes, it's as twisted as it sounds.  No, I haven't gotten a cease and desist letter from anyone yet.

Dear Tigers: I do what I do out of love.

Here's a recap of the past two years:

Miguel Cabrera in The Venezuelan's Sexy Bodyguard (Harlequin Presents)
Justin Verlander in Bring the Heat (Harlequin Blaze)
Prince Fielder in Daddy Doesn't Love Me (Harlequin SuperRomance) - now with the Texas Rangers
Phil Coke in Good Time Phil (Harlequin Kiss) - currently with the Chicago Cubs
Austin Jackson in Action Jackson (Harlequin Desire) - now with the Seattle Mariners
Victor Martinez in The Single Dad's Home Run (Harlequin Special Edition)

Max Scherzer in His Brother's Keeper (Harlequin Romance) - now with Washington Nationals
Jose Iglesias in The Shortstop's Secret Baby (Harlequin Intrigue)
Alex Avila in Collision at Home (Cosmo Red Hot Read)
Rick Porcello in Angling Towards Danger (Harlequin Romantic Suspense) - now with the Boston Red Sox

This year I've got four new players, four new stories, and gird your loins girls - this year Wendy tackles an amnesia plot.  Relive the passion, relive the glory, the 2015 roster gets kicked off starting tomorrow.

4 comments:

Barb in Maryland said...

Yay !!! (picture Kermit-like arm-flailing)
Ooooo, amnesia plot--catnip for this reader.

ps--I do prefer 'very loyal' to 'obsessive'

Unknown said...

Love these! I also love baseball as much as you do!

Kristie (J) said...

How did I miss these previous ones?????? Well, I'm REALLY not going to be able to work today since it looks like I have a number to catch up with.

Although the first older one I looked at - Jason Verlander - loses points in my book for dating boinga girl - aka Kate Upton - if you watch TMZ - which I'm no longer doing - you know what I mean *g*

Wendy said...

Point taken: y'all are "very loyal" and not the least bit "obsessive."

Kristie: So many good ones for you to revisit! I'm partial to Miguel Cabrera's and I really need to cook up another Presents plot. Although of that first year, Prince Fielder was the clear favorite for many. In year two, I loved Jose Iglesias' secret baby plot - although my personal favorite might be the Rick Porcello story. When Detroit traded him to Boston this past off-season I was heartbroken.