Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

TBR Reminder For February + Personal Stuff

For those of you participating in the 2015 TBR Challenge, this is a reminder that your commentary is "due" on Wednesday, February 18.  This month's theme is Recommended Read.  I'm sure we all have a ::cough, cough:: few of these in our TBRs.  That book you bought because so-and-so recommended it.  However, remember - the themes are totally optional and are not required.  Maybe none of those highly recommended books are calling your name and you instead want to read that comfort author you already know and love.  Hey, that's great!  Remember, it's not about the themes but reading something (anything!) out of your TBR.

This is only the second month of the challenge and it's not too late to sign up!  For more information, or just to follow along with all the participants - check out the 2015 TBR Challenge Information Page.

+++++

You may have noticed what an utter wasteland of content this blog has been the past couple of weeks.  Folks, I'm in a slump.  It's not that I'm reading "bad books" - I just don't feel like reading.  My only excuse is Real Life.  I've just got, you know, "stuff" going on.  Which brings us to the February TBR Challenge.....

I normally hit Twitter and share #tbrchallenge links, but I'm actually going to be unplugged for most of next week.  Which means, at this point?  Beside the whole not reading thing?  I really hope I don't miss my first TBR Challenge since I took over hosting duties in 2011.  Who the heck knows if 1) Wendy will get a book read and 2) If Wendy will have a moment to post some semblance of a review.  Keep your fingers crossed, heck light a candle in church - I'm about worn down to the nub.  I'm hoping my batteries get recharged next week.  Please, Dear Lord.....

11 comments:

Miss Bates said...

Hey, it's okay. You do an awesome job for us: don't sweat it. February is a tough month, I don't know why.

I'm reading too, but I have so much going on, so I hear ya. Don't think I'll be able to post either.

Take care of yourself; March is another month. Spring around the corner. :-)

azteclady said...

*sending Wendy all the good thoughts*



*sending some more good thoughts*


Here's hoping you find time to relax--and try not to worry about this. After all, the TBR Challenge is supposed to be fun, yes? So, don't sweat it--it *is* small stuff.

Phyl said...

Everyone deserves some time away, so we all get it. Don't worry about TBR and the rest of it. Just take care of you. We'll still be here when you're ready.

Anonymous said...

Ha - it sounds like you were describing most of 2014 for me!! For such a short month, February sure knows how to pack a punch. You aren't the first who is a little burned out by life - take a break, read something you KNOW you love, have a drink (hot, cold, alcoholic or otherwise). Heck, if it makes it easier on yourself, give us a something YOU would recommend that we read from our TBR instead. Or, you know, nothing. We won't perish (although your presence is always appreciated). xo

Bona Caballero said...

Reading is something we do for fun.
No book deserves to be read just because of any sense of duty.
So if you don't feel like reading & reviewing, it's OK. Life is there, life & things happen. You have nothing to prove.

Mean Fat Old Bat said...

Just echoing what the others have said. When you're running on fumes, it's best to take a look at your list and cross off anything that is truly not essential. If you look at the list with a cold, outside eye, you'll probably see that a lot of it is not essential. We must eat, have shelter, maintain basic hygiene, care for those who depend on us and have no other resource (small children, elderly sick parents) - whatever that may entail - and everything else can be put off to another time.

Get rest. Don't "should" on yourself. We'll be here.

PK the Bookeemonster said...

I had a mini reading slump last month. Could not choose what to read next, nothing hit the sweet spot. Ultimately, I re-read something I knew I absolutely loved and then gave myself permission to read anything that sounded good even though it was out of my monthly "order" or reading "rules". I realized I made up the flippin' rules for myself and really I could do whatever I wanted. How freeing! I also let myself watch some Netflix and recently have binged on Broadchurch (fabulous), The Borgias (wow, Juan), and Dr Who (yeah, David Tennant). Just watched another great Tennant show called The Enemy Within. As much as I love reading, I had to give myself permission not to spend every possible moment doing it so that I could fall in love with **story** again. :)

azteclady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
azteclady said...

(since I'm not on twitter)

My review for this month's challenge: Lord of Scoundrels

Wendy said...

So, yeah - I missed the Challenge. But I saved everybody's links and will catch up this weekend. I was on a family vacation last week, which led to me being "offline" for most of it. I did, blessedly, get two books read! Including my Challenge pick. I hope to post a review later today.

Thanks for all the well-wished everybody!

Buriedbybooks said...

Right there with you. Still. I posted my challenge review today. It's the last day of the month. Ugh. Between being sick, family vacation, and school stuff, I am too brain dead to read much of anything. And nothing seems to be really clicking with me, either, which is a big part of the problem. It's like I'm out of sync with every book out there. Hope your month improved!