Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Library Book Sale Goodness

So I come to Michigan on vacation and what do I do? I buy books. Like I need more books - but honestly, it wasn't my fault. I stopped by The Old Job yesterday to catch up with my former colleagues. While there I ran into one of their branch managers and lo and behold, it's used book sale time for them! And since I can't say no to used book sale (seriously, I'm sick), I thought it wouldn't hurt to stop by and take a look around. Plus, back in the dark ages, I was the "interim manager" at that location and I was hoping to see more of the staff (which I did - yippee!).

The single title pickins' were pretty slim, but Holy Harlequins Batman! A decent mix of lines were for sale - but I noticed a lot of Harlequin Romance and Harlequin American. Also, the inspirational lines were very well represented. My purchases generally ran towards sweet - just because that's what I was in the mood for. I gave them $10 and told them to keep the change - because that's how I roll.

Of course between these, the book I bought at a used bookstore earlier in the week, and the three books my Big Sis returned to me, that means I need to ship a box home. I can only imagine how happy My Man will be to see more books wandering into the Bat Cave, although he tells me he misses me. Maybe he misses me enough that another box of books arriving on our doorstep won't faze him all that much. Um, maybe?

In other news, the Daddy/Daughter baseball game is Saturday. Yes, pictures will be taken. Then Sunday morning I'm off to North Carolina and the Biltmore Estate. That means, it will be Wendy Media Blackout Time. I didn't feel like wrestling with the laptop. Which means I'll be unplugged from Sunday to Tuesday afternoon. Hey, I'll probably be OK. I've always heard the shakes don't get real bad until Day 3.

13 comments:

Portia Da Costa said...

Nice haul! I see some Liz Fieldings there... I adore her writing!

And she's a lovely person too. :)

Sunita said...

Reunited: Marriage in a Million is one of my favorite Harlequins ever. And I just read Fielding's The Marriage Miracle and loved it as well. Those are some great scores! Happy reading and have a wonderful weekend.

SarahT said...

I'm with you. I can never pass up a book bargain.

I can't wait to hear how you get on at the Biltmore! Enjoy.

Victoria Janssen said...

...but honestly, it wasn't my fault.

Uh-huh.

I resemble that remark.

Leslie said...

Nice unexpected haul you got there. That's always fun.

Have fun at the game and the Biltmore!

Dev said...

I got excited seeing the westerns! Great haul :-)

Lil Sis said...

Seriously? You need to admit you have a problem and need help. :) Ok, so that won't happen anytime soon! Have fun at the game and don't get caught sneaking into the locker room. :)

PS: Bought Halloween costumes for me and Lemon Drop - you will die!!!! She's going to be Curious George and I'm going to be the (wo)Man in the Yellow Hat! The cuteness will go nuclear! :)

Kristie (J) said...

Aha!! I see a Karina Bliss book in that pile of yours. I have that one but can't remember what I thought of it. And I couldn't help but laugh that you are going to have to end up shipping books home.
And I can hardly wait to hear how the rest of your time goes. Sounds like you and dad are having a grand time.

*Goddess* said...

I LOVE used book sales. My daughter and I used to go every summer when she was young and lived at home. Now I go to the annual library booksale and get enough romance novels to last me all year long. This year I bought a HUGE WalMart bag full for only $15. Can't beat it! I had to laugh, though, because one lady was complaining the thicker Harlequins were "A DOLLAR!" because they had been fifty cents the year before:). I tried to point out she could get several used books for the price of one, but that didn't matter to her.

FD said...

I spy a Karina Bliss that I haven't read in that heap.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Kelly Hunter, except that if you like it, there are a couple of Harlequins by Linda Miles that are very similar in terms of heroine and and hero.

nath said...

Very nice haul :) LOL, seriously, it's so much fun to pick up books wherever you can :)

Kelly in Hockeytown said...

Oh, Wendy, please tell me that you did not have to not only endure the chilly weather but the 13 innings??? Yikes! I hope you were bundled up.

Wendy said...

Kelly: Yep, that 13 inning slog was the game I was at. We called it quits after the 11th, because I had an early morning flight to catch to North Carolina on Sunday morning. And YIKES! It was chilly! California living has made my blood thin.

Everybody Else: Thanks for the feedback on some of those books! Glad to hear I picked up some goodies!